CFHS code : MG93
Parish : St Mary the Great
Inscription : In Loving Memory of GEORGE PETTIT d April 25 1935 age 60 also of his wife ADA PETTIT d Feb 12 1954 age 78
Monument : Headstone (fallen)/Kerb stones/Flowerholder
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon : 52.20215, 0.13790299 – click here for location
This monument was cleared by members of the Pettit family in December 2016 and is located in the centre of the parish. Although the headstone has fallen, we were able to lift it and check the inscription.
‘In Loving Memory of GEORGE PETTIT
Who passed away April 25 1935 aged 60 years’
God saw the rugged pathway
was getting hard to climb,
so he closed their weary eyelids
and whispered, “Peace be thine.”
‘Also of his wife ADA PETTIT
Who passed away Feb. 12 1954 aged 7 years’
George Pettit (1875 or 6 – 1935)
George was baptised in Horsheath in 1876. He was the fourth child of at least seven children born to George and Emma (née Pearson) Pettit. In the 1901 census he was described as a cab driver and groom, but by 1911 he was a cab driver working on his “own account”. By 1914 he was a “motor driver”.
George and Ada married in Landbeach, Cambridgeshire on August 2nd 1894. They had at least seven children: George (1896) Sidney (1898), William (1901) Matilda Rose (1904), Hilda May (died 1905) Ivy May (1909), Dorothy (died in infancy dates unknown). Frank Charles (1911) and Florence Grace (1914). Although the couple lived in Cross Street and Mawson Road, Cambridge, the first three children were baptised in Landbeach, Matilda in Horsheath and the final four at St Barnabas Church, Mill Road, Cambridge.
Ada Pettit (1874 – 1954)
Ada was born in Little Wilbraham, Cambridgeshire. She was the fifth of at least seven children born to James and Sarah Fuller (née Taylor and widow of James Osborne) James was a miller and later a publican. Civil records show that she was 79 when she died.
[If you have any information about these people, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]
CFHS Transcripts of parish records
by Mary Naylor