Henry Phillips was a member of the Cambridge Borough Police Force for more than 30 years, probably from around 1850 to 1880
Little is known of the husband and wife whose deaths within three months of one other in 1894 are recorded here other than what is conveyed by the inscriptions. Henry and Sarah must both have been born in 1827 or 1828. Henry was promoted from 2nd-class to 1st-class Sergeant on 18 October 1869. At her death in January (buried 10 January), Sarah was living in Sturton Street, and at his death in April (buried 18 April), Henry was living in Alpha Road, Chesterton.
The photograph of the Cambridge Borough Police Force in 1856 shown here includes Henry Phillips, back row, 11th from right-hand end).
Parish : St Andrew the Less
Watch Committee minute books (Shire Hall Archive)
communication from Melissa McGreechan
By Ian Bent