CFHS code : AL477
Parish : St Andrew the Less
Inscription : In Memory of ELIZABETH the affectionate and beloved wife of JOHN PHIPPS d 26 December 1867 aged 64 also of the above JOHN PHIPPS d Oct 5 1891 aged 90 and ELIZABETH daughter of the above d Aug 25  aged 
Monument : Headstone
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
This headstone located in the parish of St Andrew the Less stands 2 rows to the east of the central path close to the boundary stone that marks the south border of the parish. The lower section of the carved inscription is now illegible.
In Memory of ELIZABETH the affectionate and beloved wife of JOHN PHIPPS
Who did 26 December 1867 aged 64 years
Also of the above JOHN PHIPPS died Oct 5 1891 aged 90 years
And ELIZABETH daughter of the above d Aug 25 1894 aged 59
Elizabeth Phipps (née Jennings) (1803 – 26 December 1867)
Elizabeth was born in Harston and married John Phipps on 4 October 1827. John worked as a shoe/bootmaker, Elizabeth as a shoe binder and the couple had at least three daughters: Mary (1828-), Elizabeth (1835-1894) and Susan (1836-1894). They lived at Ram Yard (1841) and 34 City Road (at least 1851 onwards). Elizabeth died at home and was buried on 2 January 1868.
John Phipps (1801 – 5 October 1891)
John was born in Cambridge and married Elizabeth when he was c.26 years old. After her death he lived at City Road with his daughter Susan, son in law Thomas Verrinder and grandson Herbert (1871/1881). In April 1891 he was lodging at Haydon Cottage, Mill Road with the Cowell family. John died at 22 Mawson Rd and was buried on 8 October.
Elizabeth Phipps (20 February 1835 – 25 August 1894)
Elizabeth was baptised at the Downing Street Non-Conformist Church. She lived at 34 City Road and worked as a teacher in a laundry school (1851) and governess (1861). She moved to London c.1867 where she was Matron of an Orphan’s Home at 11-14 South Street, Southwark, which was under the umbrella of Charlotte Sharman. Elizabeth died at Austral Street, West Square, Southwark, and notices in Cambridge newspapers read ‘for 27 years the faithful and devoted Matron of Miss Sharman’s Orphans’ Home. Dearly loved and deeply mourned’. Her body was returned to Cambridge, and she was buried at Mill Road Cemetery on 29 August.
Parish burial records transcribed by CFHS
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]