CFHS code : AG250
Parish : St Andrew the Great
Inscription : In Loving Memory of EMMA PONT d Nov 21 1909 aged 62 also WILLIAM PONT d Apr 20 1911 aged 65
Monument : Headstone
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon : 52.202782, 0.13626496 – click here for location
Emma Pont (née Hayward) (1847 – 21 November 1909)
Emma was the daughter of gardener/professional cricketer Daniel Hayward and his wife Eliza. Her brothers Daniel and Tom became professional cricketers, with Tom being described as “amongst the most precisely technical and most prolific batsmen of any time in the annals of cricket”. She grew up on Mill Road (1851) and her father died when she was only 5 years old. She married William Pont in 1869 and the couple had at least two children: Emma Amelia (1871-1871) and William Ernest Hayward (1876-1957). In 1871 they were living at the John Barleycorn pub, 4 Burleigh Street, and William was described as a publican and coach builder.
By 1881 they had moved to 8 Short Street/1 Willow Walk, where William was a ‘fly owner’ (horse drawn cab) (1881) and by 1891 he was described as livery stable keeper. The family moved to 25 Victoria Street by at least 1901, and William was working as a ‘job master (i.e. a livery stable keeper) and coach builder’. It is believed that Emma died at Victoria Street aged 62 years old.
William Pont (c.1846 – 20 April 1911)
William was the son of Samuel and Judith Pont. He grew up on Norfolk Street (1851) where his father was a dairyman and then at 14 John Street where his father worked as a cordwainer. By the age of 15 (1861) he was working as a servant, before marrying Emma Hayward in 1869. He was still living at 25 Victoria Street in 1911, but died at the Bethnall House Hospital, Cambridge Road in Bethnal Green aged 65 years old. His son William Ernest took over the livery business.
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]