CFHS code : HT81

Parish : Holy Trinity

Inscription : In Loving Memory of CHARLES PUGH d Jan 23rd 1944 aged 63

Monument : Headstone/Kerb stones/Flowerholder

Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey

Monument

Inscription

Charles Pugh (21 June 1880 – 23 January 1944)

Charles was the second son of William and Mary Jane Pugh and was born in Leamington Spa, Warwickshire. He was baptised at St. Mary’s Church, Wolverhampton on 21 May 1881. William Pugh worked as a signal fitter and the family lived in Wolverhampton before moving to live at 19 Ross Street by 1901.  In that year Charles was documented as being a railway engine stoker. He married Florence Gertrude (known as Gertrude)Halls (1879-1956) in 1902 and they had at least five children: Lilian Doris (1902-1960), Charles William (1904-1973), Stanley 91907-1973), Violet Jenny (1909-1997) and Edward (1911-1989). Charles later worked as a time and storekeeper for Great Eastern Railway and the family lived at 157 Mill Road (1911). He wored as a voluntary member of the Cambridge Fire Brigade and was granted exemption from the army in 1916 due to being required for the brigade.  Colonel Beales who was the chairman of the Fire Bridage Committee argued that the full strength of the brigade was 56 men, but that it was only 29 in June 1916 because of the number of men enlisted in the army.

In 1939 Charles and Gertrude  were living at 152 Thoday Street and he was documented as being a LNER (London North Eastern Railway) fitter. He died at Addenbrooke’s Hospital aged 63 years old.

Sources:

Ancestry

Newspaper archives

by Claire Martinsen

[If you have any information about this person, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]

Charles Pugh