CFHS code : HT495

Parish : Holy Trinity

Inscription : In Loving Memory of GEORGE REDMAN d 23 Apr 1937 aged 77 SUSANNAH REDMAN d 19 Oct 1956 aged 85

Monument : Kerb stones/Flowerholder

Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey

Redman kerb stones and flowerholder


Located midway between the central path and the east wall towards the north of the parish. Close to the small scroll of Kimmence.  The east kerb has fallen and the inscription is quite hard to read.


In Loving Memory of GEORGE REDMAN who died 23 Apr 1937 aged 77 years

SUSANNAH REDMAN who died 19 Oct 1956 aged 85 years

George Redman (c.1860 – 23 April 1937)

George was the son of Joseph and Ann (née Shadbolt) Redman. Aged 1, he was living with his parents and three siblings at 9 Gloucester Place, and Joseph Redman was working as a whitesmith. Ann Redman died when George was 9 years old, and the family appears to have fallen upon hard times as in 1871 both George and his father were living in the Mill Road Workhouse.  Joseph Redman died in 1879, and George remained living in the Workhouse (1881), but by this time was recorded as having the occupation of  Market Porter.

George, possibly on his way to India in 1885.

It is believed that George may have served with the 1st Battalion Suffolk Regiment between 1888-1890 and saw action in India.

On 1 February 1891 however he married Susannah Morley (known as Susan) in Cambridge.  The couple had at least ten children: Susan Elizabeth (1891-1980), George Lewis (1893-1956), Clara Jane (1896-1986), Arthur (1899-1947), Ernest Edwin (1902-2003), Bertie William (1904-1985), Dorothy May (1906-1910), Lily Agnes (1909-1910), Ivy Florence (1909-1910) and Sidney Albert (1911-1965). The couple lived at 6 St Matthew’s Court (1901) and later at 18 Willow Place (at least 1911 onwards).  George worked as a bricklayer/labourer.

The marriage certainly appears to have been a fiery one. In April 1908 the couple appeared in front of the Cambridge magistrates court, as George was charged with assaulting Susan. The Cambridge Independent Press reported ‘Mrs Redman stated that whilst in the kitchen defendant swore at her and knocked her on to the sofa. She had to go to the Hospital in consequence of the injury he caused to her jaw. Defendant said that she provoked him to slap her.  The magistrates imposed a fine of 10s and 8s costs’.  Six weeks later they appeared in front of magistrates again, which the Cambridge Independent Press reported under the headline of ‘Family Quarrell’. On Saturday 29th May Susan had gone to the ‘Waggon and Horses’ pub to fetch George as it was said she needed money for food in order to feed the family. George was not keen to leave, but eventually did.  When he reached his home at St. Matthew’s Court he gave Susan 5 shillings and then ‘struck her in the face with his fist. He also kicked her, bruising her on the thigh, legs and arms and dragged her upstairs, and as he threatened that he would do for her she was half a mind to jump out of the window.  The neighbours were afraid to interfere because he was such a brute’.  George accused Susan of ‘nagging him for not coming home sooner and threatened to break his neck with a poker’, she was also said to have threatened to cut his throat with a razor. George showed the court a bruise on his arm which he said was caused by being struck with a poker.  Their daughter Elizabeth appeared as a witness for her mother and said that she ‘saw her father strike her mother and get hold of her throat and try to strangle her, and then she went for the police’.  Susan was represented by Mr Wootten, who was said he was seeking a separation order for Susan.  George’s defence was that Susan was ‘always ‘nig-nagging ‘ at him so that he was very nearly tired of his life’. He in turn accused Susan of being drunk, which was denied by PC Hurst who had been called to the incident. The Mayor, Mr Whitbley did not grant the separation order, and in light of the previous fine, sentenced George to three months good behaviour.  George was ordered to ‘keep out of the Waggon and Horses and places like that, where you only get into trouble’.  Susan was told that she was also to blame and was ordered ‘to stay at home and look after the home and not ‘nag’ him. There was no reason why the pair of them should not go together better’.

Susan & George “better together” C WW1

And they do appear to have gone ‘together better’, having a further three children and continuing to live at 18 Willow Place.  George died there aged 77 years old.

Susannah Redman (née Morley) (12 April 1871 – 19 October 1956)

Susan was born in Haverhill. She was the daughter of Lewis and Susan (née Carter), and married George Redman when she was 19 years old.  After his death she continued to live at 18 Willow Walk, and was living there in 1939 with her youngest son Sidney. She died aged 85 years old.



Newspaper archives

by Claire Martinsen

[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at]

George Redman; Susannah Redman