CFHS code : AG145
Parish : St Andrew the Great
Inscription : In Loving Memory of CAROLINE RICHARDSON d Dec 1911 aged 56 also of THOMAS RICHARDSON d September 29 1933 aged 78
Monument : Kerb stones
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon : 52.202723, 0.13658406 – click here for location
Located six rows east of the west path, to the south of the parish. The kerb stones are intact but many of the metal letters are missing from the north kerb. A large buddlia tree grows from one corner of the grave set.
In Loving Memory of
CAROLINE RICHARDSON Who passed away Dec 30 1911 aged 56 years
Also of THOMAS RICHARDSON died September 29 1933 aged 78 years
Caroline Richardson (née Hunt) (c 1855- 1911)
Caroline was the daughter of William, an engine driver, and Mary. In 1871, at the age of 15, she was working as a general servant but later became a dressmaker.
She married Thomas Richardson on 6 November 1879 in the parish of St Andrew the Less. They were living in York Terrace when their first child was born. They had at least three children: Florence (b 1881), Helen (b 1883) and Harry (b 1886).
The 1881 census shows the family in Saffron Walden but it is not known if they were living or just staying there. Thomas was now a fireman for the railway. In 1901 they were living on Mill Road Cambridge. Thomas had become an engine driver.
Florence worked in a shop, Helen became a dressmaker and Harry joined the Great Eastern Railway as a telegraph clerk.
Caroline died at the family home 277 Mill Road.
The grave register gives her age as 50 and her date of burial as 30 December but the parish burial record says she was 50 when she died and her burial date as 4 January 1912.
Thomas Richardson (c 1855 – 1933)
Thomas was born in Trumpington, Cambridgeshire, the son of James, a shepherd, and Caroline. When Thomas married he was an engine cleaner but by 1901 he was an engine driver for GER (Great Eastern Railway)
Thomas died at 81a Mill Road which had been the workhouse but became the county infirmary in 1930.
CFHS parish, grave and census transcripts
by Mary Naylor