CFHS code : ML6
Parish : St Mary the Less
Inscription : In Loving Memory of ANNA MARIA RICKARD d Dec 19th 1902 aged 56 also EDWARD RICKARD husband of the above d Nov 19th 1913 aged 80
Monument : Headstone
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon : 52.202855, 0.13770267 – click here for location
Anna Maria Rickard (née Tricker) (1846 – 19 December 1902)
Anna was born in Stowmarket and was baptised there on 6 September 1846. She was the daughter of Robert and Mary Ann Tricker, and her father ran a bakery on Bury Street in the town. She married Edward Rickard at St Andrew the Great on 6 September 1874. The couple had at least eight children: Herbert James (1875-1950), Ernest Edward (1876-1940), Florence Maud (1878-1949), Alice Gertrude (1879-1954), Sidney John (1881-1943), Leslie Joseph (1883-1969), Ethel Mary (1885-1972) and Francis George (1886-1958).
Edward was a carpenter/builder and the family lived at 10 Willow Walk (1881/1891) and then at 22 Fitzwilliam Street (1901). Anna died at Fitzwilliam Street aged 56 years old.
Edward Rickard (20 April 1833 – 19 November 1913)
Edward was the son of James and Emma (née Crabb) Rickard and brother of John. James was a carpenter and builder, and Edward grew up on Fitzwilliam Street (1841) and St. Andrew Street (1851). In 1871 he was living at 4 Downing Place with his aunt Rebecca Rickard. He worked with his father as a builder and then took over the family firm called Messrs. Rickard and Son. He married Anna Tricker when he was 41 years old.
Edward was a very keen naturalist and was called ‘probably the greatest of amateur natural historians in Cambridge’. He was interested in entomology, botany, geology and taxidermy. He collected 2,000 natural specimens and 800 beetles in addition – all of which he set himself. He also collected british wild flowers and had a collection of over 2,000 including 300 fern specimens. He published a book entitles ‘Leaves’ in 1869 with Mr Mudd, the curator of the Botanical Gardens. He also loved taxidermy and stuffed ‘several thousand birds’. His most prized work was a case of 129 small british birds. He presented many cases of stuffed birds to the University Natural History Museum. He travelled throughout Britain in pursuit of his natural studies hobby – often accompanied by his friend Mr Mudd.
He was also a very keen reader, and read 190 books in one year – all to do with nature. He proudly declared that he had never read a book of fiction during his life as he regarded them as a waste of time. He held the honour of being one of the few non-University members able to borrow books from the University Library.
It was said that he was a Conservative, but played no part in local politics. He was however a ‘sidesman’ (Church Warden) at St. Andrew the Great for over 20 years. He retired from Rickard and Sons Builders in 1899. In 1911 he was living at Fitzwilliam Street with his children Florence, Alice and Francis. He died at home aged 80 years old.
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]