CFHS code : AG416
Parish : St Andrew the Great
Inscription : Sacred ALFRED son of THOMAS & SARAH ROBINSON d Feb 13 1866 aged 27 also of the above named THOMAS ROBINSON d Sept 5 1875 aged 65 also SARAH the beloved wife of THOMAS ROBINSON ——– 1876 line illegible b Dec  18– d Dec 14 188-
Monument : Headstone (fallen)
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
The headstone is now badly eroded and frequently covered by grass. It lies three rows from the east west path, in the parish area of St Andrew the Great, next to the headstone of James Allen.
Sacred ALFRED son of THOMAS & SARAH ROBINSON d Feb 13 1866 aged 27
Also of the above named THOMAS ROBINSON d Sept 5 1875 aged 65
Also SARAH the beloved wife of THOMAS ROBINSON [June]— 1876
line illegible probably JOHN b Dec  18– d Dec 14 188
Relationships: Husband, wife and two sons
Alfred Robinson (1839 – 1866)
Alfred was the son of Tom and Sarah Robinson. He was born in Normandy, France on 22 April 1839 and baptised in Paris on 14th June 1839. He had moved to Cambridge by the age of 11.
In 1861 he was living at the Wrestler’s Inn and working as a clerk. He died at the Wrestlers Inn aged 26 on 13 February 1866. Newspapers reported his death saying he was ‘second beloved son of Thomas and Sarah Robinson’
Thomas Robinson (1810 – 1875)
Thomas (known as Tom) was the son of trainer John Robinson and his wife Sarah. He was born in Newmarket in May 1810. His half brother was James (Jem) Robinson, who was a very famous jockey of the time, winning twenty four Classic races, including six Derby wins and nine 2000 Guinea races. Jem’s number of wins of the 2000 Guineas has never beaten and his Derby wins were only surpassed by Lester Piggott in 1976. His other half brother John was also a trainer.
Tom also became a jockey. He married Sarah Bloss at St Mary’s Church, Newmarket on 12th November 1834. The couple moved to Chantilly in France, where Tom worked as a jockey. They had at least five children, of which the first four were born in France: Francis John (b 1837), Alfred, Frances Elizabeth (1841-1913) Frederick Linch (1844-1923) and John (b 1851).
Tom won the inaugural Prix du Jockey Club race in 1836 on Franck. He won it again in 1838 on Vendredi.
By 1850 Tom and Sarah had returned to England and had settled in Cambridge, running the Wrestler’s Inn, Petty Cury. Tom took out newspaper adverts on 28th December 1850 announcing he had taken over the running of the Wrestlers. It was located near the Market Place and the Corn Market. Tom’s advert in the Cambridge Independent Press in 1854 advertised ‘good stable accommodation – wines, spirits, home-brewed ales etc of the best quality – omnibuses pass the door for every train’.
He ran the Wrestlers Inn with his children and died there on 5 September 1875 aged 65.
Sarah Robinson (nee Bloss) (1805 – 1876)
Sarah was born on 1 December 1805, the daughter of Francis Linch Bloss and his wife Elizabeth. She too
came from a racing family and her grandfather Robert (Bob) Bloss was a trainer from Epsom. Her father Francis was also involved in the racing world. She was born in Lisbon in Portugal, as were her two eldest sisters Elizabeth (b 1802) and Lucy (b 1803). Francis may have been living in Lisbon in connection with racing.
Sarah and her siblings were living in Newmarket by at least 1818, when she was 12 years old. She married Tom Robinson when she was 28 years old. She ran the Wrestler’s Inn with Tom for at least 25 years and died there on 28 January 1876 aged 70.
John Robinson (1850 – 1884)
John was the youngest son of Tom and Sarah. He was born in Newmarket on 15 December 1850 and grew up at the Wrestler’s Inn. After the death of his parents he took over the running of the Inn with his sister, Frances Elizabeth.
Newspapers of the time report the various function and events that were held at the Wrestler’s Inn under his stewardship: The annual dinner of the Mill Road and St Andrew the Less Cottage Gardeners’ Association (January 1880), the annual supper of the Ancient Order of Foresters (November 1881) of which he was secretary and the grand committee of the Odd Fellowship (January 1880). The latter event was reported in the Cambridge Independent press as ‘the business occupied about five hours after which the delegates sat down to a substantial dinner, served up by Host Robinson in his usual admirable and excellent style’.
He died at the Wrestler’s Inn on 14 December 1884, the day before his 34th birthday. The Inn was demolished in 1888.
CFHS parish transcripts
by Mary Naylor and Claire Martinsen