CFHS code : PL202

Parish : St Paul

Inscription : In Memory of LUCY JANE widow of T ROMNEY ROBINSON DD of the Observatory Armagh and last surviving child of R LOVELL EDGEWORTH Esq of Edgeworthstown b 20 Mar 1805 d 23 Jan 1898

Monument : Headstone/Kerb stones

Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey

Lucy Jane Robinson --grave
Lucy Jane Robinson headstone

Monument

This headstone with metal lettering, within kerb stones, in the parish area of St Paul’s, is situated on the east side of the western path, close to the Cemetery Lodge.

Inscription

‘In memory of Lucy Jane
widow of T. Romney Robinson D.D. of the Observatory Armagh
and last surviving child of R. Lovell Edgeworth Esq. of Edgeworthstown
born March 20 1805 died Jan. 23 1898.’

Lucy Jane Robinson (née Edgeworth) (1805‒98)

Lucy was born on 20 March 1805 in Castlereagh, Ireland.  She was one of six children born to Richard Lovell Edgeworth (1744‒1817) and his fourth wife, Frances Anne Edgeworth (née Beaufort) (1769‒1865).  Richard had twenty-two children in total.

(Richard was an Anglo-Irish politician and inventor.  He created a machine to measure the size of a plot of land.  He also thought of the caterpillar track although he did not go on to create it.  He installed a telegraph line for Ireland together with his brother-in-law, Francis Beaufort.  (Francis went on to marry Richard’s daughter by his third wife).  In addition, Richard was a member of the Lunar Society ‒  a dinner club and informal learned society ‒  together with members of the Stokes and Darwin families.)

Lucy was said to be an invalid throughout her life ‒ she suffered from a spinal disorder ‒ although she outlived her twenty-one siblings.  She married Thomas Romney Robinson (1792‒1882) in 1843.  Thomas’s first wife had died and he already had three children including Mary Susanna Stokes (née Robinson) (c.1825‒99).  Mary was married to the physicist George Gabriel Stokes (1819‒1903).

(Thomas was a graduate of Trinity College, Dublin where he became Deputy Professor of Natural Philosophy.  He was also vicar of Enniskillen between 1821 and 1824 during which time he became astronomer in charge of Armagh Observatory until his death.  In 1882 he became Prebendary of St Patrick’s, Dublin.  He received honorary degrees from both Oxford and Cambridge Universities.  He was a Fellow of the Royal Astronomical Society, and a Fellow of the Royal Society, which awarded him the Royal Medal in 1862.  He was the inventor of the cupanemometer, which is still used today to measure wind speed.)

After Thomas’ death in 1882 at the Armagh Observatory where they both lived Lucy left Ireland.  She joined the household of her step-daughter, Mary Susanna Stokes, at Lensfield Cottage, Lensfield Road, Cambridge (now the Scott Polar Research Institute).  Lucy died in Cambridge on 23 January 1898.

Sources:
Cambridge University Alumni, 1261‒1900
Dictionary of National Biography, Volumes 1‒20, 22
Dublin, Ireland, Probate Record and Marriage Licences Index, 1270‒1858
Ireland, Select Marriages, 1619‒1898
Ireland, Civil Registration Deaths Index, 1864‒1958
England & Wales, FreeBMD Death Index, 1837‒1915
England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1858‒1966
UK and Ireland, Find A Grave Index, 1300s-Current
Wikipedia
Lluis Barbe, Francis Ysidro Edgeworth: A Portrait with Family and Friends  (Edward Elgar Publishing, 2010)

By Emma Easterbrook

Lucy Jane Robinson