CFHS code : PL475
Parish : St Paul
Inscription : In Loving Memory of EDWARD MILLEE ROBSON d Jul 4 1901 age 74 also of his wife MARGARET ROBSON d Ap 28 1910 age 83 also of their son THOMAS ROBSON d Dec 4 1884 age 29 interred at North Shields and of their daughters ELEANOR ESTHER ROBSON d Aug 4 1930 age 76 MARGARET ANN ROBSON d Dec 8 1932 age 74
Monument : Stone cross/Kerb stones
Above information amended from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Edward Millee Robson (1827 – 4 July 1901)
Edward was born in Newcastle, the son of Thomas Robson and married Margaret Rogers on 3 May 1853 at Christchurch, Tynemouth. They had three children: Eleanor Esther (1854-1930), Thomas (1855-1884) and Margaret Ann (1858-1932). Edward worked as a railway engine fitter, and in 1861 the family were living in Gateshead, but had moved to Norwich Street, Cambridge by 1871. He had retired by 1901 and died at 67 Norwich Street aged 74 years old
Margaret Robson (née Rogers) (1827 – 28 April 1910)
Margaret was born in Horton, near Blyth in Northumberland and was the daughter of blacksmith William and Eleanor (née Elliot). She died at 67 Norwich Street and her funeral took place on 2 May 1910.
Thomas Robson (10 July 1855 – 4 December 1884)
Thomas was born in Gateshead and baptised there on 6 August 1855. Aged 15 he was living at Norwich Street and working as an engine fitter for G.E.R. like his father. He died at 48, North Street, Milburn Place, North Shields and his funeral took place in South Shields two days later.
Eleanor Esther Robson (16 February 1854 – 4 August 1930)
Eleanor was also born in Gateshead and was baptised on 24 February 1854. She went to St. Paul’s School and was presented with the Bishop’s prize for religious knowlege in 1868. She trained as a pupil teacher (1871) and lived with her parents at Norwich Street. She worked at St Philip’s Girls’ School from 1886 onwards, and by 1901 had been appointed headmistress of the school. The school grew rapidly over the time she was there. It started as a little wooden room, but five additions were added to the school, and by 1918 it was the largest girls’ school in Cambridge. The rapid population growth of Romsey Town put pressure on the number of school places available, leading to the need to expand. In July 1903 the Cambridge Independent Press reported that the girls’ school could accomodate 265 pupils, whereas average attendance for the previous year had been 299. There were four teachers for the 299 pupils, which was seen as a luxury when the boys’ school had three teachers for 443 pupils. In 1910 an additional building to accomodate cookery and laundry lessons for the girls was planned in Romsey Avenue, opposite the school.
Eleanor resigned as headmistress in 1918 due to ill health. The Chairman of the school remarked that ‘the school had been doubled, trebled, quadrupled and then enlarged again, and Miss Robson had seen it grow, and seen pupils in it, who were the children, if not the grandchildren of her former pupils. She had done the most splendid work, and the Inspector had always spoken most highly of her work’. She was presented with a Chesterfield settee on retirement. Miss H. Salmon was appointed the new headmistress of St. Philip’s Girls’ Schhol in April 1918 on a salary of £140 per annum ‘rising by annual increments on satisfactory service of £5 to a maximum of £155 plus supplementary grant’.
Eleanor lived at 12 Mill Road (1911), 96 Tenison Road (at least 1918-1919) and 12 Guest Road (1920 onwards) . She lived with her sister Margaret and died aged 76 years old. Her funeral took place on 8 August 1930.
Margaret Ann Robson (c.1858 – 8 December 1932)
Margaret was baptised on 17 January 1858 at St. John’s Church, Newcastle. She worked as a dressmaker and continued to live at Norwich Street after the deaths of her mother and father (1911) and then moved to live with her sister at Tenison Road /Guest Road. She died at home aged 74 years old and was buried at Mill Road Cemetery on 10 December 1932.
Parish burial records transcribed by CFHS
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]