CFHS code : CL54

Parish : St Clement

Inscription : MARY ANN ROGERS aged 55 Sept 29 1871 EDWARD ROGERS aged 44 Dec 27 1856

Monument : Stone cross (base only)

Above information amended from Cambridge Family History Society Survey

Lat Lon : 52.202406, 0.13820793 – click here for location

Monument

Inscription

Mary Ann Rogers (née Kittridge) (c.1816 – 29 September 1871)

Mary was born in Cambridge and married Edward Rogers in 1847. William was a bootmaker and they lived at Quayside (1851) and 29 Thompson’s Lane (at least 1856 onwards). The couple had four children: Mary Ann Elizabeth (1847-1926), William (1849-1897), Alfred (1852-1933) and Edward (1857-1926) – youngest son Edward  was born in April 1857, four months after his father’s death.  After she was widowed Mary was documented as a schoolmistress (1861) but had stopped working by the time the 1871 census was taken. She died at Thompson’s Lane and her funeral was held on 4 October.

Edward Rogers (1812 – 27 December 1856)

Edward is believed to have been the illegitimate son of Mary Rogers as he was baptised on 10 October 1813, and no father’s name was given on the baptism records. He died at Thompson’s Lane aged 44 years old.

Edward and Mary’s son and daughter in law are also recorded as being buried in the St. Clement’s part of Mill Road Cemetery and are belived to have been buried in the same grave.

William Rogers (1849 – May 1897)

William was baptised at St. Clement’s Church on 29 June 1856, when he was 7 years old. He worked as a compositor/printer and lived with his mother until her death.  In 1881 he was lodging with the Barker family at 1 Trafalgar Street and married Amelia Knowles on 8 October 1888 at St. Luke’s Church, Victoria Road. They had one son:  Arthur William (1890-1976) and lived at 23 Alpha Road. William died at home and his funeral was held on 8 May.

Amelia Rogers (née Knowles) (1858 – June 1927)

Amelia was the only daughter of Daniel (1820-1869) and Mary (née Chappell)(1821-) and was baptised on 14 November 1858 at St. Mary the Great Church. Daniel Knowles was a hatter and she grew up at 32 Falcoln Yard. She worked as a shop assistant before her marriage to William Rogers and after she was widowed took in lodgers at Alpha Road (1901).  By at least 1911 she had moved to live at 12 Garden Walk and died in June 1927 aged c.68 years old.

Sources:

Ancestry

Newspaper archives

Parish burial records transcribed by CFHS

by Claire Martinsen

[If you have any information about this family please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]

Edward Rogers; Mary Ann Rogers