CFHS code : AG407

Parish : St Andrew the Great

Inscription : In Loving Memory of WILLIAM ROGERS d Sep 25th 1901 aged 57 also of FANNY ROGERS widow of the above d Nov 30th [1934] aged 79

Monument : Headstone

Above information amended from Cambridge Family History Society Survey

Site of Rogers monument April 2018

Monument

Sadly the headstone is now fallen and has been covered by grass.

Inscription

In Loving Memory of WILLIAM ROGERS d Sep 25th 1901 aged 57

also of FANNY ROGERS widow of the above d Nov 30th [1934] aged 79

William Rogers (1844 – 25 September 1901)

William was born in Potton, Bedfordshire and baptised there on 3 June 1844.  He was the son of James and Harriet (née Hanscombe) Rogers and his father worked as a cabinet maker and joiner.  The family had moved to Cambridge by at least 1849 and lived at Eden Street (1851) and then at 40 James Street (1861).  Harriet Rogers died in 1868, and William then lived with his father and worked as a bookseller’s assistant (1861). By 1871 he was living with his father at 37 Clarendon Street and he was working as a grocer.

He married Fanny Hall, but no record of the marriage has been found and they had at least three sons: William Bailey (1876-1957), Francis Edwin (1878-1951) and Charles Harold (1879-1933).  He continued to run the grocery shop until at least April 1901, and died at 6 New Square later the same year.

Fanny Rogers (née Hall) (20 December 1854 – 30 November 1934)

Fanny was born in Broadwater, Hertfordshire and was the daughter of John and Frances Wilson.  Her father died in 1858, and she grew up with her mother and step-father Henry Shore in Stevenage (1861) and then Knebworth (1871) where Henry ran the Roebuck Inn.  After she was widowed she continued to live at 6 New Square and died there aged 79 years old.

Source:

Ancestry

by Claire Martinsen

[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]

Fanny Rogers; William Rogers
Tagged on: