CFHS code : HT24
Parish : Holy Trinity
Inscription : In Loving Memory of SARAH JANE RUSH 27 Feb 1910 aged 73 also JANE EUGENIE RUSH 20 May 1931 aged 75
Monument : Kerb stones
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Sarah Jane Rush (née Hartshorne) (c.1835 – 27 February 1910)
Sarah was born in London and baptised on 5 April 1835 at St Dunstan and All Saints’ Church, Stepney. She was the daughter of chandler Anthony Hartshorne (1762-1839) and his wife Elizabeth (1795-1837). Both her parents died when she was small and in 1841 she was resident at Dr. Druet’s ‘Establishment for Pauper Children’ in Tooting, together with her two of her older sisters Rose and Orpah. Aged 16 she was working as a servant and living with another of her sisters – Matilda and her family in Hyde Place, Tower Hamlets. In the meantime her sister Orpah had moved to live in Necton, Norfolk when she married farmer William Ames. Sarah married farmer/publican Marlborough Rush (1828-1883) on 15 March 1854 in Necton. They had at least eight children: Jane Eugenia (1856-1931), William Marlborough (1857-1911), Orpah Rebecca (1860-1944), Elizabeth (1863-1953), Rose (1865-1905), John (1868-1888), Susan (1870-1935) and Edith Brewster (1873-1925). The couple lived in Great Fransham for most of their married life – a small village between Dereham and Swaffham, where Malborough ran a pub called the Pine Apple Inn and farmed 20 acres. Sarah was widowed in November 1883 and in 1901 was living with her daughter Jane, Rose and Edith at Mona Farm in Necton. She died at 17a Sidney Street and was buried at Mill Road Cemetery on 2 March 1910.
The grave monument gives her age as 73, the death registration/parish burial records give her age as 72, but it thought that she was aged 75 years old based on her baptism records/census records.
Jane Eugenia Rush (11 June 1856 – 20 May 1931)
Jane was baptised Jane Eugenia, and used this middle name thoughout her life. It is thought that Eugenie might be a spelling error on the grave monument, although this spelling was also used on the probate records.
Jane was the eldest child of Marlborough and Sarah Rush and was born in Beeston, a village west of East Dereham and south of Fakenham. She was baptised on 13 July 1856 and grew up in Great Fransham. Aged 14 she was working as a housemaid at Great Fransham Rectory for Rev. Vincent Raven. She returned to live at the Pine Apple Inn (1881) and was then a farmer – farming at Mileham (1891) and Mona Farm, Necton (1901). By at least 1907 she had moved to Cambridge where she lived at 17 Sidney Street and where it is believed she ran a Lodging House. She later moved to 12 Kings Parade (at least 1919 onwards) and died at 74 Chesterton Road aged 74 years old.
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]