CFHS code : MG15
Parish : St Mary the Great
Inscription : footstone E.T. 1856/J.S. 1873/ A.S. 1879
Monument : footstone
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon : 52.202223, 0.13736499 – click here for location
Located in the parish area of St Mary the Great, the headstone is missing, so the grave has been identified using the sexton’s grave register.
Only the initials and date of death on the footstone are legible. The following is based on research and could have errors.
E.T. 1856/J.S. 1873/ A.S. 1879
Elizabeth Thompson (née Sims) (1828 – 27 October 1856)
Elizabeth was the eldest daughter of John and Ann Sims. She married Stephen Thompson on January 23rd 1849 in the parish of St Mary the Great. Stephen was a college clerk at Clare College and in 1851 the couple were living at 6 Rupel Street. They had at least two children: William Stephen (1849-) and John Alfred Sims(1852-1869). She died at her parents home at 21 Corn Exchange Street aged 28 years and was buried on 3 November.
John Sims (c.1794 – 3 May 1873)
John was born in Lincolnshire. He married Ann Cooper in Waterbeach on 25 April 1826 and the couple had at least six children: William Cooper (1827-1880), Elizabeth (1828-1856), John (1830 -1899), Ann (1832-), Emma Whitehead (1834-1896) and Eliza (1841-). in 1841 the family were recorded living at Slaughter House Lane, which subsequently became known as Corn Exchange Street. John worked as the curator at the School of Anatomy in Cambridge for 38 years. He died at his home, 21 Corn Exchange Street aged 79 years and was buried on 9 May.
Ann Sims (née Cooper) (c.1800 – 15 March 1879)
Ann was born in Ely and died aged c.79 years old at Corn Exchange Street.
John and Ann’s eldest son William Cooper Sims, is buried in a grave in the next row to his parents, which has not been located.
CFHS Census, Grave book and Parish transcripts
by Mary Naylor and Claire Martinsen
[If you have any further information about these people, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]