CFHS code : ML87

Parish : St Mary the Less

Inscription : also FREDERICK SMITH 1829 – 1899  Mahala Smith 1892 Ellen Smith 1943

Monument : Stone cross (plinth only)

Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey

Lat Lon : 52.202691, 0.13735817 – click here for location

Smith monument 2015

Monument
Close to the south west path on the centre circle, in the parish area of St Mary the Less. The inscription is difficult to read. The grave register and parish records were used to complete the entry.

Inscription

also FREDERICK SMITH 1829 – 1899 Mahala Smith 1892 Ellen Smith 1943

Frederick Smith (1829-1899)
Frederick was born in Helions Bumstead to Joseph, a tailor. We have not found his mother’s name . By 1851 he was working at Queen’s College. After he married Mahala they moved to Little St Mary’s Lane with Mary’s two sons from her first marriage and raised four children: Rose (1860), Ellen (1861), Frederick A (1864) and Arthur (1868).

Mahala Smith (née Webb)  (1825 – 1892)
Mahala was born in Helions Bumstead to Stephen and Phoebe Webb. She married William Clark, a maltster, at St Botolph’s church, Cambridge on May 19th 1850 and moved to Thompson’s Lane. They had two sons: James (1851) and William (1852).  It is thought that William died in 1854 aged 28.

Her marriage to Frederick Smith took place on November 21st 1859 at the church of St Mary the Less.

Ellen Smith (1861 – 1943)

Ellen was born in Cambridge. She was brought up in Little St Mary’s Lane and worked as a laundress with her mother and sister. When she died, at the age of 83, she was living at 103 Arbury Road.

Sources:
CFHS transcripts of parish and census records
Family Search

by Mary Naylor

Ellen Smith; Frederick Smith; Mahala Smith