CFHS code : AS205
Parish : All Saints
Inscription : In Loving Memory of WILLIAM POTTER SPALDING died 1916 also MARTHA died April 21 1920 age 75 also of PERCY JOHN their son Town Clerk of York d Jan 22 1934 age 55
Monument : Headstone
Above information amended from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
This monument in the parish area of All Saints is located on the parish boundary midway between the central and west paths. The recently exposed stone is believed to belong to the Spalding family grave.
‘In Loving Memory of WILLIAM Potter SPALDING died 1916.
Also MARTHA died April 21 1920 age 75.
Also of PERCY JOHN their son Town Clerk of York died Jan 22 1934 age 55.’
William Potter Spalding (1847 – 1916 )
William was born in Ipswich in 1847, the son of William Spalding and Betsy Potter. In 1871 he was an assistant to stationer, George Preston and living in the Preston household at 30 St Andrews Street, Cambridge.
He married Martha Goodliffe at All Saints Church, Cambridge on 24th September 1873. They had at least five children: Alice Mary (b 1874), Alexander Augustine (b 1876) Percy John (b 1878) Edmund William (b 1881) and Agnes Hilda (b1883).
The family lived 43 Sidney Street, where William ran his business as “Stationer, publisher and bookseller, Master employing three men and two boys” . William’s brother Alfred was an assistant stationer and there was also an apprentice and two servants resident in the household. (1881 Census). One of the books they published was in fact the Spalding’s Street directory.
He died in March 1916 aged 68.
Martha Spalding née Goodliffe (1845 – 1920)
Martha was born in York Street, Cambridge in 1845, the second child of John and Charlotte (née Beecher) Goodliffe, who ran a butcher shop. Her father died in 1857, aged only 40. In 1871, Martha was living at 26 Sidney Street, with her widowed mother, still described as a butcher.
Percy John Spalding (1878 – 1934) – see also Life Story page
Born in Cambridge on the 11th March and baptised on 7th April 1878. Percy was the third child of William and Martha Spalding. After his death his body was returned to Cambridge for burial, in the same grave as his parents, because he was unmarried and one of his brothers and his two sisters were still living in Cambridge. The Parish records for All Saints Church state that he was “of Presbyterian Church Priory Street York”