St Botolph’s is situated in Trumpington Street at its junction with Silver Street, close to where there stood the South Gate of mediaeval Cambridge. The chancel of St Botolph’s Church was restored just over twenty years after Mill Road Cemetery was established. It was rebuilt in 1872 to the design of G F Bodley and worked on by local artists F R Leach and G Gray. It is a very fine example of high Victorian decoration (see also All Saints’) and was conserved and restored in 2008 with some help from the Heritage Lottery Fund, a large number of other gifts and grants, and fund-raising by the congregation over many years. Stained glass includes work by C E Kempe.
The present building dates from the fourteenth century, and things of special interest include the only remaining mediaeval rood screen in central Cambridge, the four bells, cast in 1460 and not altered since (and still in use), the Laudian font canopy of 1637 and monuments to, amongst others, Thomas Plaifere (1609, Lady Margaret’s Professor of Divinity), James Essex (architect), members of the Darwin family and Sir Ernest Barker. The Chapel was refurnished in memory of those who died in the Great War (1914-18) and contains a stained glass window by Rachel Tancock. The tower was built in the fifteenth century, is surmounted by stone figures representing the four evangelists (restored 1971) and has a sundial on the south-west buttress.
The church is open every day. Visitors are always welcome to look round, enjoy peace and quiet and attend the regular services.For more information, click here.