CFHS code : AL286
Parish : St Andrew the Less
Inscription : In Loving Memory of JOHN STANDLEY d May 16 1852 aged 40 also of RUTH STANDLEY relict of the above d December 8th 1888 aged 78 also of THOMAS STANDLEY son of the above d August 28 1875 aged — also MARY ANN STANDLEY d ——— 2 19-
Monument : Headstone
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
John Standley (1812 – 16 May 1852)
John was the son of John and Elizabeth and was baptised at All Saints’ Church on 15 November 1812. He married Ruth Duffin on 14 April 1839 at Holy Sepulchre Church and they lived on Gold Street. John worked as a domestic groom/coachman and the couple had at least five children: Frances (1840-), John (1841-1925), Mary Ann (1843-), Thomas (1845-1875) and Sarah (1849-). He died aged 40 years old.
Ruth Standley (née Duffin) (1810 – 8 December 1888)
Ruth was the daughter of Samuel and Frances and was born in Potton, Bedfordshire. After she was widowed she lived at 9 Eden Place where she worked as a launderess/charwoman assisted by daughter Mary Ann. She died at Eden Place aged 78 years old.
Thomas Standley (1845 – 28 August 1875)
Thomas worked as a baker from at least the age of 15 (1861) and married Mary Elizabeth Moore (1847-1921) on 18 October 1868 at St. Giles’ Church, Camberwell. They lived in Lambeth and had at least one son: George Thomas (1870-). Thomas died in Lambeth and his son was sent to live at the Rev. C.H. Spurgeon’s Orphanage, Clapham, which was for fatherless boys.
Mary Ann Standley (1843-)
Mary lived at 9 Eden Place with her mother and in 1871 were working as a charwomen. No further information has been found about her life.
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any further information about this person, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]