CFHS code : PL571
Parish : St Paul
Inscription : Sacred to the Memory of ELISE CUNLIFFE STEPHENSON wife of GEORGE WILFRED STEPHENSON d 31 Jul 1873
Monument : Altar tomb
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon : 52.202454, 0.13602968 – click here for location
This altar tomb, located by the west wall, is well preserved and the inscription was still legible in July 2016.
‘Sacred to the Memory of Elise Cunnliffe Stephenson
wife of George Wilfred Stephenson died 31 July 1873’
Elise Cunliffe Stephenson (1822 – 1873)
Elise was born Elizabeth Cunliffe West in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire in 1822. She was the daughter of James West, an iron monger. She is recorded as being called Eliza or Elizabeth on records and census returns.
Elizabeth married Charles Richard Jenkinson a solicitor from Doncaster on 25th May 1841 but he died just three years into their marriage. She then married Robert Andrew on 21st August 1950. Robert was also a solicitor and had been articled at the same company as Charles Jenkinson. Robert too died just 18 months into their marriage in early 1852. Aged 30, Elizabeth had been widowed twice.
She married George Wilfred Stephenson on 28th April 1953 at St Mary the Virgin, West Derby Liverpool. They lived at 181 Grove Road, Wallasey and George worked as an architect and civil engineer. They had two sons Joseph Wilfred Henry Stephenson [1855 – 1895] and George Herbert Lonsdale Stephenson [1859- ]. George Herbert worked as an architect like his father.
It is not known what brought the family to Cambridge, but by 1871 they were living at Merton Cottage, 77 Merton Street, Granchester. In a 1869 city directory records George Stephenson is recorded working on Broad Street, Cambridge as an architect and surveyor for the local health board. He was still resident in the city in 1875-1876 and working on Hills Road.
Elise died in July 1873 aged 51.
By Claire Martinsen
[If you have any further information about this person, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]