The 19th-century Cambridge stonemasonry firm of Tomson was a family business. As early as 1850 it was located at 69 Trumpington Street (near the top of Mill Lane) under the name Thomas Tomson. From 1867 to about 1880 it was headed by Mrs. Tomson, in 1884 by Frank Tomson, and by 1887 by Emma Tomson, all still at the same address.
In 1901, the firm’s address, again under the name of Mrs. Tomson, was located at Granta Place (between Mill Lane and the Garden House Hotel, near what is now the punt basin), and at this latter address by 1903 the firm operated under the name of J. Day, and is still listed thus in 1910.
The following grave in Mill Road Cemetery is known to have been built by Tomson (the number given here is that assigned in the transcriptions by the Cambridgeshire Family History Society):
St Andrew the Great 238 : George & Elizabeth Wilson (headstone: 1882, 1900; located directly in front of Robert Sayle gravestone) [see illustrations]
— Please help us identify other graves by Tomson in the Cemetery.
By Ian Bent