CFHS code : HT262
Parish : Holy Trinity
Inscription : In Loving Memory of ELLEN the beloved wife of ELIJAH TARRANT d May 8 1873 aged 43 also of ELIJAH TARRANT d June 11 1913 aged 88
Monument : Headstone/Kerb stones
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
The headstone, in the Parish area of Holy Trinity, is located three rows south of the south path and six rows from the central path. (quite close to the south boundary wall). Just visible in the picture is the grave of Elijah’s second wife. The stone is in good condition but showing some signs of erosion at the base.
In Loving Memory of ELLEN the beloved wife of
ELIJAH TARRANT; who died May 8. 1873. Aged 45 years.
Also of ELIJAH TARRANT; who died June 11. 1913. aged 88 years.
Ellen Tarrant (née Stepney) (c 1828 – 1873)
Ellen was born in London, the daughter of William, a cabinet maker. On August the 20th 1848 she married Elijah Tarrant in Cambridge in the parish of St Andrew the Less. The family lived in Gloucester Place where most of the children were born and then moved to 16 Sussex Street where Ellen died. They had at least six children; Ann E (b 1853), Ellen (b 1854), Emily (b 1856), Thomas (b 1860), Thomas and Elijah Elisha (b 1861), Elijah (b 1863) and Alice (b 1867 and baptised 1874).
Elijah Tarrant (c 1825 – 1913)
Elijah was born in London, the son of James, a gunsmith. Elijah became a gunsmith but was also sub tenant of the Bushal and Strike pub in Sussex Street (Cambridge News 1889) A year after Ellen’s death, on August 8th 1874, he married Ellen Mallyon a 35 year old spinster, at Cambridge Register office.
[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]
CFHS transcripts of parish & census records
British Newspaper Archive
Edited by Mary Naylor