CFHS code : PL177
Parish : St Paul
Inscription : In Memory of TOM TIPLADY d 25 Dec 1919 aged 78 also of ELLEN beloved wife d 12 October 1921 aged 81
Monument : Headstone (fallen)
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Tom Tiplady (1841 – 25 December 1919)
Tom was the son of Francis and Mary Tiplady and brother of Annie. He was born in Bramham, Yorkshire and his father was a joiner/carpenter. By 1861 Francis was running the Bay Horse Inn and combining being an inn keeper with also being a joiner – Tom was by then 20 and also working as a joiner. He married Ellen Richings at St. Margaret’s Church, York on 25 April 1865 and they had two children: Fanny (1866-1930) and another who died as an infant.
By 1871 they had moved to live in Cambridge and lived at Caius Street (1871), Mill Street (1881) and then Caius Terrace on Glisson Road (at least 1891 onwards). Tom worked as a carpenter/joiner for Great Eastern Railway (G.E.R) and had retired by 1911. He died at 13 Caius Terrace on Christmas Day 1919 aged 78 years.
Ellen Tiplady (née Richings) (c.1839 – 12 October 1921)
Ellen was born in Stanford in the Vale, a village between Wantage and Farringdon and baptised on 7 January 1840. She was the daughter of baker James Richings and his wife Rebecca and married Tom Tiplady in York when she was 25 years old. She was still resident at 13 Caius Terrace in 1920, and died the following year aged 81 years old.
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]