This grave was not located by the CFHS survey
Lat Lon : 52.202365, 0.13596689 – click here for location
This stone cross, in the parish area of St Paul, is located against the west wall. Row 1 grave 17. The grave register shows that Richard’s wife and son are also buried in the same grave.
Inscription : ‘Sacred to the memory of Richard William Tofts born May 18th 1849, died June 29th 1899’ “Until the day break, and the shadows flee away.”
Richard William Tofts (18 May 1849 – 29 June 1899)
Richard was the son of Thomas and Catherine Tofts, and was baptised on 13 June 1849. He was born at Whitewell Farm, Barton where his father farmed 432 acres and employed 20 men/boys (1851). They later moved to Grange Farm on Madingley Road (1861/1871). His elder brother Thomas took over the farm after their father’s death. Richard married Elizabeth Annie Walder on 12 August 1879 at St Stephen’s Church, South Dulwich. The couple had three children: Maude Emily (1880-1975), Edith Annie (1881-1941) and Arthur Reginald (1883-1901). Richard worked as a corn merchant, and the family lived at 4 Pulling Terrace (1881) and then at Melrose, 43 Tenison Avenue (1891). He died aged 50 years old.
His funeral took place on Tuesday 4 July ‘amid many signs of sympathy and respect from the neighbours and friends’. The service took place at St. Barnabas Church before internment at Mill Road Cemetery. The Cambridge Independent Press reported that ‘the blinds at many of the houses and shops which the procession passed were drawn in token of sympathy’.
Arthur Reginald Tofts (1883 – 20 November 1904)
Arthur died at Tenison Road aged 21.
Elizabeth Ann (Annie) Tofts (née Walder) (1850 – 15 February 1919)
Known as Annie, she was born in Surrey and baptised at St. Mary’s Church, Mortlake on 29 December 1850. She was the only child of James and Harriet Walder, but her father had died by the time she married Richard Tofts in 1879. After being widowed she continued to live at 43 Tenison Avenue, and died at home in 1919. Her funeral took place on 20 February, and was reported in the Cambridge Independent Press ‘the deceased lady was the widow of the late Mr R.W. Tofts a well-known corn merchant of Cambridge, who established a very large connection in the district. Mrs Tofts had resided in St. Barnabas’ parish for upwards of forty years and was a great supporter of St. Barnabas’ Church during the whole of that time…The death of her only son Arthur, followed closely upon the death of her husband and from that time her health appears to have failed. Mrs Tofts will be remembered by many as a kind-hearted friend and a warm sympathiser’.
CFHS transcripts of parish registers
St Paul’s church grave register – Cambridgeshire Archives
by Ian Bent, Mary Naylor and Claire Martinsen