CFHS code : AG401
Parish : St Andrew the Great
Inscription : In Loving Memory of Lieutenant FRANK L TREWEEKE RE b 23rd March 1882 d 7th Nov 1916
Monument : Celtic cross/Kerb stones
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon : 52.202837, 0.13721885 – click here for location
Celtic cross on triple plinth, with kerb stones, in the parish area of St Andrew the Great, located on the west periphery of the centre circle.
‘In loving memory of Lieutenant Frank L. Treweeke R. E.
born 23rd March 1882, died 7th Nov 1916’
Frank Lesley Treweeke (1882–1916)
Lieutenant in the Royal Engineers, died on 7 November 1916 at the 1st Eastern General Hospital, Cambridge. Nothing is known of the circumstances of his death. He has no grave in any of the British military cemeteries abroad; this seems to be his only memorial.
Frank was born on 23 March 1882 in Falmouth, Cornwall. He was the fifth of the six children of William Treweeke and Julia Bertha Treweeke (née Duckham). His paternal grandfather, Francis Treweeke, had been a mine engineer. His father was an accountant at Falmouth docks, Cornwall. The family grew up at Bar Terrace, Falmouth. Frank initially worked for the Post Office. Then in 1910 he travelled on the steamship Kingstonian to New Orleans, Louisiana, USA arriving there on 27 September. According to the steamship’s passenger list his occupation was telegraphist and he intended to travel on to Mexico. He may have been visiting his brother, Thomas Frederick Treweeke, who eventually settled in the USA.
During the First World War Frank became a Lieutenant in the Royal Engineers. The Royal Engineers were sent to France and from October 1916 they constructed tunnels for the troops in preparation for the Battle of Arras in 1917. These tunnels included a network of caverns called the “boves” underneath what would eventually be fought over as the Battle of Arras. The boves were a series of underground quarries and sewage tunnels. The plan was to add new tunnels to the boves so that troops could arrive at the battlefield in secrecy and in safety. The size of the excavation was immense and in one sector alone four Tunnel Companies of 500 men each worked around the clock in 18-hour shifts for two months.
Frank died on 7 November 1916 in the 1st Eastern General Hospital, Cambridge and was then buried in Mill Road Cemetery. He was entitled to the Victory medal and the British War medal. At the time of Frank’s death his parents were living at 4 Woodlane Terrace, Falmouth.
[If you know anything further about this man, please contact us at email@example.com]
War Graves Photographic Project
Census returns for England: 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891, 1901, 1911
England & Wales, FreeBMD Birth Index, 1837–1915
England & Wales, FreeBMD Marriage Index, 1837–1915
England & Wales, FreeBMD Death Index, 1837–1915
England & Wales, Death Index, 1916–2007
England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1858–1966
UK, Soldiers Died in the Great War, 1914–1919
By Emma Easterbrook and Ian Bent