CFHS code : AG305

Parish : St Andrew the Great

Inscription : In Loving Memory of GEORGE HENRY WARLAND d Feb 11 1907 aged 52 and HELEN WARLAND his beloved wife d Sep 4 1934 aged 75 also of MAURICE GEORGE youngest son of GH WARLAND who died of wounds received in action in Mesopotania Jan 20 1917 buried in the cemetery at Iman Mansur

Monument : Stone cross (base only)/Kerb stones

Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey

Lat Lon: 52.203046, 0.1366142 – click here for location

Warland monument

Monument

Stone cross (only the plinth survives) with kerb stones, in the parish area of St Andrew the Great, located to the west side of the western path, just north of the path to the centre circle.

Warland inscription
Warland inscription

Inscription

east face

‘In loving memory of George Henry Warland
who entered into rest Feb 11 1907 aged 52 years.’
“The Lord will bless his people with peace.”

north face

‘And Helen Warland his beloved wife
died Sep 4 1934 aged 75 years.’
“At rest”

south face

‘Also of Maurice George youngest son of G. H. Warland
who died of wounds received in action in Mesopotamia Jan 20 1917,
buried in the cemetery at Iman Mansur’

Maurice George Warland (1891–1917) WW1 soldier – see also Life Story page

Maurice was born in 1891 in Cambridge. He was the youngest of four children born to George Henry Warland and Helen Warland (née Thompson). Maurice was educated at the County School and The Perse School, Cambridge, where he was admitted on 12 January 1906. After leaving school he became an apprentice in soft furnishings.

He enlisted as a trooper in the 16th Lancers.  On 11 January 1917 he was severely wounded, as a result of which he died on 20 January 1917.

George Henry Warland (1855–1907)

George was born in 1855 in Cambridge. He was one of at least five children born to Henry Warland and his first wife, Susanna Warland (née Baldrey). His father was a cabinet maker and George followed in his father’s footsteps although he described himself as a cabinet maker, undertaker and house furnisher. The family lived at 6 South Street (off East Road, now part of the Anglia Ruskin University site) and then 19 Church Street, Cambridge.

George married Helen Thompson in 1879 in Cambridge. Her father was also a cabinet maker. George and Helen had at least four children: Georgiana Grace (1880–1949); William Henry (1882–1960); Leslie Guy (1888–1966); and Maurice George (1891–1917). The family lived at 91 Fitzroy Street; 14 Mill Road; 48 Mill Road (two doors down from The Locomotive public house); and 8 Willis Road (Petersfield), Cambridge. George died on 11 February 1907 in Cambridge.

Helen Warland (née Thompson) (1859–1934)

Helen was born in 1859 in Cambridge. She was one of at least nine children born to William and Matilda Thompson. Her father was a cabinet maker and paper hanger. Helen married George Henry Warland, also a cabinet maker, in 1879 in Cambridge. The couple had at least four children: Georgiana Grace (1880–1949); William Henry (1882–1960); Leslie Guy (1888–1966); and Maurice George (1891–1917). After George’s death Helen and her family lived at 6 Guest Road (Petersfield), Cambridge. Helen died on 11 September 1934 in the Devonshire Nursing Home, Devonshire Road, Cambridge.

Sources:
www.forces-war-records.co.uk
www.ancestry.co.uk
Census returns for England: 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891, 1901, 1911
England & Wales, FreeBMD Birth Index, 1837–1915
England & Wales, FreeBMD Marriage Index, 1837–1915
England & Wales, FreeBMD Death Index, 1837–1915
England & Wales, Death Index, 1916–2007
England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1858–1966
UK, Soldiers Died in the Great War, 1914–1919
UK, Commonwealth War Graves, 1914–1921
Web: International, Find a Grave Index
Pelican magazine, March 1917
Pelican Roll of Honour (July 1918)
War Diary for the 5th Wiltshire Regiment

Information kindly provided by the following institution: The Perse School, Cambridge

By Emma Easterbrook and Ian Bent

George Henry Warland; Helen Warland; Maurice George Warland