CFHS code : BE109
Parish : St Bene’t
Inscription : JAMES HAROLD WATTS d Jany 10 1901 aged 6 LAURA EMMA WATTS d May 27 1934 aged 72 JAMES WATTS d 24 Jan 1940 aged 75
Monument : Cruciform Coped stone
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon : 52.202612, 0.13621291 – click here for location
This cruciform coped stone is 1 row to the west of the west path close the northern border of the parish. The inscription of metal letters is mostly intact.
JAMES HAROLD WATTS died January 10 1901 aged 6 years
LAURA EMMA WATTS died May 27 1934 aged 72 years
JAMES WATTS died 24 Jan 1940 aged 75 years
Relationship: Mother, father and son
Laura Emma Watts [nee Richardson] (1862 – 27 May 1934)
Laura was born in Debden in Essex and married James Watts when she was 28 years old in 1890. The newly weds moved to 1 Lodge-gate Cottages where James was working as a builder and wheelwright. They had four children: Winifred Muriel [1890-1958], James Harold [1894-1901], Doris Marjorie [1896-1983] and Donald Owen [1899-1989].
They later moved to 230 Mill Road, Cambridge which was run as a Post Office and Stationer’s shop. James worked as a coachbuilder, and Laura worked as a Post Office assistant. In the 1930’s both Laura and James appear on the register of electors at 57-59 Perowne Street, although they were living at ‘St Edmunds’ in Harston. Laura died aged 72 years old.
James Watts (23 May 1864 – 24 January 1940)
He was widowed at the age of 70 in 1934. The census of 1939 shows his occupation as retired coachbuilder – retired through illness. He died at home at St Edmunds in Harston in 1940. He left an estate valued at £1,832 2s 8d.
James Harold Watts ( 1894 – 10 January 1901)
James Harold was the son of James and Laura Watts. He died aged 6 years old in 1901.
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]