CFHS code : ED10
Parish : St Edward
Inscription : In Loving Memory of LILIAN beloved wife of ALBERT WEATHERHEAD d 9 Dec 1937 aged 61 also ALBERT SHELTON WEATHERHEAD d 30 Jun 1948 aged 84 WILLIAM WEATHERHEAD d 16 May 1906 aged 73 also EMMA widow of W WEATHERHEAD d Easter Sunday 1915 aged 79
Monument : Headstone/Kerb stones
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon : 52.203163, 0.13760035 – click here for location
This monument is a headstone with kerb stones. It is currently completely obscured by vegetation.
Inscription [based on CFHS transcript]
In loving memory of
Lilian beloved wife of Albert Weatherhead
died 6 Dec 1937 aged 61
Also Albert Shelton Weatherhead
died 30 Jun 1948 aged 84
William Weatherhead died 16 May 1906 aged 73
Also Emma widow of W. Weatherhead
died Easter Sunday 1915 aged 79
Albert Shelton is the son of William and Emma Weatherhead; Lilian is the wife of Albert Shelton.
Lilian Weatherhead (née Hicks) (1876‒1937)
Lilian Hicks was born in Cambridge in the second quarter of 1876, and was baptised at the church of St Andrew the Less on 24 September of that year, daughter of Alfred Hicks, carpenter, joiner and builder, and his wife Emily (née Short). Alfred and Emily had, in all, at least twelve children of whom four died. Lilian’s siblings included Alfred (bapt.1863), Ellie (or Nelly) Sebbella (bapt.1864), John (bapt.1871), Robert (bapt.1873), Martin Frank (bapt.1874), Frederick Horace (bapt.1878) and Gilbert (bapt.1880). The family lived at 47 City Road, and was part of a larger Hicks family of builders at 47‒51 City Road, other members of which are buried at AL399. Lilian’s father Alfred died in 1881, aged 42, after which his widow Emily continued to be involved in the business until her death in 1892 at the age of 52.
Lilian married Albert Shelton Weatherhead, bookseller and stationer (see below), on 23 August 1900 in the church of St Andrew the Less, at the age of 24. Their first home was at 37 Trinity Street, and it was there that they had their three children: Gilbert John (bapt.1902), Philip William (bapt.1905) and Albert Frank (bapt.1907). In 1906 Albert’s father William died, and presumably at that stage Albert took over the business at 16 Peas Hill, to which address the family moved.
In c.1929 Lilian and Albert moved to 11 Mill Road (on the east corner of Willis Road). Lilian evidently became ill in the mid-1930s, for she was a patient in the Cambridgeshire County Infirmary at 81A Mill Road (the former Cambridge Union Workhouse) at her death on 6 December 1937 aged 61. Her body was buried on the 9th of the month in Mill Road Cemetery, in row XXXIII of the St Edward parish area, in plot 16 at a depth of 6 feet. In her will she left effects worth £1,263 6s. 4d. to her husband Albert and son Gilbert John, who had in the meantime taken over the shop at 16 Peas Hill.
(Gilbert John married Lilian May Last on 9 July 1925, and was by 1932 living at 252 Milton Road with a daughter Gillian Mary; Albert Frank married Florence Lilian How of the bakery firm at 222 Mill Road, on 2 July 1936, and Philip William married Agnes Mary Dawson on 22 September 1945. None of these are buried in Mill Road Cemetery.)
Albert Shelton Weatherhead (1865‒1948)
Albert Shelton was born in Cambridge on 17 January 1865, son of William Weatherhead, bookseller and stationer (see below), and his wife Emma (see below). Albert had only one sibling, Minnie A (c.1863‒); the family was probably already living in Little St Mary’s Lane. By 1881 he was working as an assistant in his father’s shop at 8 Union Street, where the family was resident.
Albert Shelton married Lilian Hicks on 23 August 1900 in the church of St Andrew the Less, at the age of 35. Their first home was 37 Trinity Street, and it was there that they had their three children: Gilbert John (bapt.1902), Philip William (bapt.1905) and Albert Frank (bapt.1907). In 1906 Albert’s father William died, and presumably that was the stage at which Albert took over the business at 16 Peas Hill, to which address he moved his family.
Albert seems to have retired in about 1929, at which point Gilbert evidently took over the Peas Hill business, while Albert and Lilian moved to 11 Mill Road (on the corner of Willis Road). Lilian died in 1937; Albert continued to live at 11 Mill Road, and his son Philip lived with him, together with a housekeeper. In 1939 Albert is still accorded the occupation of ‛master stationer’ while Philip’s is given as ‛stationer warehousman’.
Albert died on 30 June 1948 at the age of 84, and was buried on 5 July in Mill Road Cemetery. (The grave book had largely fallen out of use by this date, so details of the burial are not recorded.) In his will he left effects worth £7,910 0s. 11d. to ‛Gilbert John Weatherhead and Albert Frank Weatherhead company directors’.
William Weatherhead (c.1833‒1906)
William was born c.1833 in Hitchin, Hertfordshire, and baptised on 1 May 1833 at St Mary’s Church there. He was the son of James Weatherhead, bricklayer’s labourer, and his wife Eliza. In 1841, the family lived in Back Street, Hitchin, and in 1851 (when William is not recorded as present) at 17 Corries Lane, Hitchin. William had at least four siblings: Martha (c.1834‒), Thomas (c.1837‒), Elizabeth (c.1840‒) and Susanna (c.1843‒). By the beginning of 1861 he had moved to Cambridge and was lodging at 7 Little St Mary’s Lane (next to the church of St Mary the Less), the home of Richard and Elizabeth Pearson. At that time, his occupation is given in the census return as ‛tailor’.
William married Emma Armitage (see below), dressmaker, in Cambridge in the second quarter of 1861. Since by 1871 they were living at 1 Little St Mary’s Lane, it is possible that they had lived there from after their wedding. The couple had two children: Minne A (c.1863‒) and Albert Shelton (1865‒1948) (see above) ‒ the 1911 census confirms that these were their only children). By 1881, William had set up business as a bookseller and stationer at 8 Union Street (later renamed 16 Peas Hill, close to St Edward’s Church, and next to the central Market Square), where he is listed in Spalding’s Street Directory. Minnie and Albert remained with them into the 1890s, Albert eventually marrying in 1900. By 1901, William and Emma were living at 61 Montague Road, Chesterton.
William died on 16 May 1906 aged 73, and was buried on 21 May in Mill Road Cemetery, in row XXXIII of the St Edward parish area, in plot 16 at a depth of 8 feet. The burial register gives his address at the time of death as ‛Elm’, Montague Road, and the probate entry gives 27 Montague Road. He left effects worth £504 5s. to Emma, who outlived him by nine years.
Emma (née Armitage) Weatherhead (c.1834‒1915)
Emma Armitage was born in Cambridge c.1834 and baptised on 19 September 1834 at the church of St Andrew the Less, daughter of John Armitage, bricklayer, and his wife Phoebe, laundress. Emma had at least three siblings: Agnes (c.1825‒), William (c.1822‒) and William George (1831‒) (another daughter, also Emma, baptized in 1824, must have died young, and another son, also called William George, was baptized in 1829 and died in January 1831, aged 2). The family was living in Burleigh Street (off East Road) at the time of Emma’s birth and into the 1840s. By 1851, the were living on the other side of East Road, at 10 Broad Street, with William (bricklayer) and Emma. Sister Agnes married James (or John) Soward, railway engine driver, on 24 May 1847. Phoebe died durinug the 1850s, so by early in 1861 John and Emma were living with Agnes and her husband at 2 East Road.
Emma married William Weatherhead, bookseller (see above) in the second quarter of 1861, and by 1871 the couple were living at 1 Little St Mary’s Lane with their two children, Minnie A (c.1863‒) and Albert Shelton (1865‒1948) (see above). By 1881 William had his shop, as bookseller and stationer, at 8 Union Street (now part of Peas Hill), and Albert assisted in the shop. All four members of the family were still at the latter address in 1891. Albert married Lilian Hicks (see above) on 23 August 1900 and moved away. By 1901, William and Emma were living alone at 61 Montague Road, Chesterton, aged 67 and 66. William died five years later, leaving Emma effects worth £504 5s., and by 1911 Emma was living at 147 Chesterton Road, a lodging house in which she had ‛separate occupation’.
Emma died on 4 April 1915 aged 79, and was buried on the 7th of the month in Mill Road Cemetery, in row XXXIII of the St Edward parish area, in plot 16 at a depth of 7 feet. In the burial register, her address at the time of death is given as 16 Peas Hill (i.e. 8 Union Street after the renaming of that street).
[If you have any information about these four persons or their families, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]
England census returns 1841 to 1901; England & Wales census 1911
1939 register transcript (Albert Shelton; Philip)
England & Wales, Civil Registration Birth Index, 1837‒1915 (Lilian)
England, Select Births and Christenings, 1538‒1975 (William)
England & Wales, Civil Registration Marriage Index, 1837‒1915 (William/Emma)
England & Wales, Civil Registration Death Index, 1837‒1915 (Emma)
England & Wales, Civil Registration Death Index, 1916‒2007 (Lilian)
England & Wales Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1858‒1966 (William, Lilian, Albert Shelton)
Spalding’s Street Directory of Cambridge 1881, 1929/30‒1939/40)
Kelly’s Street Directory of Cambridge 1948
Church of St Edward, burial register (William, Emma, Lilian, Albert)
Church of St Edward, grave book (William, Emma, Lilian)
Church of St Mary the Great, baptismal register (Gillian Mary)
Church of St Mary the Great, marriage register (Gilbert/Lilian May)
Church of St Andrew the Less, baptismal register (Emma; other members of the Armitage family; Lilian; other members of the Hicks family; Gilbert, Philip, Albert Frank)
Church of St Andrew the Less, marriage register (Agnes/John Soward; Alfred Hicks/Emily Short; Albert Shelton/Lilian)
Church of St Andrew the Less, burial register (members of the Hicks family)
Church of St Barnabas, marriage register (Philip William/Agnes Mary Dawson)
Church of St Philip, marriage register (Albert Frank/ Florence Lilian How)
Cambridge County Infirmary Register of Deaths 1935‒38 (Lilian)
By Ian Bent