CFHS code : CL128

Parish : St Clement

Inscription : HENRIETTA CHARLOTTE [D’WELLY] b Aug 20 1874 d Feb 4 1940

Monument : Kerb stones

Above information amended from Cambridge Family History Society Survey

Lat Lon : 52.20253, 0.13828708 – click here for location

D’Welly kerb stones November 2018

Monument

Located in the parish area of St Clement, these kerb stones have fallen on two sides and the inscription is badly eroded.

Inscription 

Henrietta Charlotte D’Welly (20 August 1874 – 4 February 1940)

The family name of Dwelly, changed during Henrietta’s lifetime to D’Welly, and both spellings were used on her probate records.

Henrietta was the daughter of Jacob Edmund (1831-1884) and Julia (née Bennett) (1838-1914) and was born in Malmesbury.  Both her parents were schoolteachers and after Jacob’s death she lived with her mother and sister Elizabeth in Malmesbury (1891/1901). Both girls trained to be teachers and in 1911 were teaching together at Kingston, four miles north of Taunton, Somerset and living at the School house.  The sisters moved to live at 1 Northampton Street, Cambridge (1919) and then 24a Bridge Street (at least 1925 onwards).   Elizabeth D’Welly died in 1925 and is thought to have been buried in Harpenden and Henrietta then lived at Bridge Street with a Caroline Bennett (who was possibly a maternal relative).  She died at the Mill Road Infirmary aged 65 years old. Her estate remained unclaimed and solicitors Shaw and Stephenson placed newspaper adverts in February 1944 requesting descendants make contact.

Sources:

Ancestry

Newspaper archives

by Claire Martinsen

[If you have any further information about this person, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]

Henrietta Charlotte D’Welly