CFHS code : PL108
Parish : St Paul
Inscription : IM MARGARET wife of H J WHITEHEAD b 13 March 1829 d 19 Aug 1872 also H J WHITEHEAD b March [15 1829] d [January 4 1898] also E H WHITEHEAD b Apr  d [May 11] 192
Monument : Headstone/Kerb stones
Above information amended from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
IM MARGARET wife of H J WHITEHEAD b 13 March 1829 d 19 Aug 1872 also H J WHITEHEAD b March —- d ——- also E H WHITEHEAD b Apr ——- d ———- 192
Margaret Whitehead (née Ashby)(13 March 1829- 19 August 1872)
Margaret was born in the village of Grundisburgh, six miles north east of Ipswich, Suffolk. In 1851 she was living with her aunt Susannah Cranwell at 7 Regent Street. Susannah ran a school and Margaret was working as a teacher. She married solicitor Henry Whitehead on 11 March 1852 at St. Paul’s Church, Cambridge and they had at least seven children: William Henry (1853-1937), Mary Jane (Pollie) (1855-1948), Gertrude Catharine (Gertie) (1856-1932), Herbert Edward (1860-1930), Frederick Ernest (1860-1863), Amy Margaret (1862-1929) and Annie Louise (1864-). The family lived at Parson’s Court (1861) and then Felbrigge, 53 Hills Road (at least 1863 onwards). Margaret died in Selkirk, Scotland ‘while on a visit for the benefit of her health’ and the funeral took place on 22 August.
Henry John Whitehead (15 March 1829 – 4 January 1898)
Henry was born in Blackley, a suburb of Manchester and was baptised on 31 May 1829 at St. John’s Church, Deansgate. He was the son of John and Catherine and married Margaret Ashby when he was 22 years old. He married for a second time on 9 September 1873 to Eliza Sawyer at St. Leonard’s Mumby Chapel, Lincolnshire The couplea had six children; Frank Edred (1880-1964), Eirene Mabel (1884-1968) and four children who died as infants.
Henry practised as a solicitor in the town for nearly 50 years, and his name appeared often in newspapers with regard to banktruptcy cases, court cases, business affairs, wills and property issues. He practised from 2 Post Office Terrace and was also the borough treasurer from 1869 onwards. He also served as treasurer to the Cambridge Corporation and was a Commissioner of Oaths. His son William went into partnership with him in 1890 and the business was known as Messrs. H.J. Whitehead and Son.
He died at Felbrigge after a prolonged illness. The Cambridge Independent Press reported he ‘had been in failing health for some time past and had remained indoors for about a month, during the latter period of which he had kept his bed. The skill of his medical attendant was instrumental in prolonging his life for a period but the end came…owing to paralysis and closed his useful and honourable career’. It was reported that he was a ‘valued public official who was greatly esteemed and respected by all classes throughout the town…in the prime of his career his many talents brought him considerable practice and his well known integrity of character won the respect of all who had business with him’.
His funeral was held on 8 January at St. Paul’s Church and ‘many townspeople showed their respect for the deceased by being present’. Sir George Gabriel Stokes read the lesson.
Eliza Holditch Whitehead (née Sawyer) (April 1842 – 11 May 1923)
Eliza was the fifth daughter of ironmonger/gas works owner James Sawyer and Elizabeth (née Oldham). She grew up at Narrow Bridge Street, Peterborough (1851) and then 9 Priestgate (1871). After she was widowed Eliza moved back to Peterbrorough with her children Frank and Eirene (1901). In 1911 she was living at 24 St Peter’s Street, Tiverton with daughter Eirene, a cook, housemaid and lady’s companion Jane Milford. Eliza died at The Corner House, Highworth Avenue, Cambridge and was buried at Mill Road Cemetery on 15 May 1923.
Parish burial records transcribed by CFHS
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]