CFHS code : PL558
Parish : St Paul
Inscription : headstone JOHN EDLESTONE LEDSAM WHITEHEAD MA for thirty six years Town Clerk of Cambridge b 5 June 1852 d 12 Sept 1923 elder son of FREDERICK WILLIAM & MARTHA WHITEHEAD kerbs MARTHA WHITEHEAD b 20th November 1825 d 3rd July 1897
Monument : Headstone/Kerb stones
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon : 52.202392, 0.13599742 – click here for location
This headstone with kerb stones, is located by the west wall, in the parish area of St Paul.
JOHN EDLESTONE LEDSAM WHITEHEAD MA
for thirty six years
Town Clerk of Cambridge
b 5 June 1852
d 12 Sept 1923
elder son of FREDERICK WILLIAM & MARTHA WHITEHEAD
MARTHA WHITEHEAD b 20th November 1825 d 3rd July 1897
John Edleston Ledsam Whitehead ( 5 June 1852 – 12 September 1923)
John was the eldest son of the Reverend Frederick William and Martha Whitehead. He was born in Cambridge and baptised at St Paul’s Church on 27th July 1852. He grew up at 1 Camden Place (1861) and then at 63 Hills Road (1871). He went to Oakham School and then to Emmanuel College in 1870. He obtained his BA in 1874 and his MA in 1878. He became a solicitor and was articled to his uncle, Henry John Whitehead, who was borough treasurer of Cambridge. He became Town Clerk of Cambridge from 1887 until his death in 1923.
He married Susan Thurston at St John and All Saints Church in Lakenham on 3rd March 1887. Susan was the daughter of confectioner William Thurston and had grown up at 34 Market Street in Cambridge. John and Susan lived at Park Terrace, and did not appear to have any children. In 1911 the couple were living apart – Susan was living in Isleham and John was boarding with the House family at 30 St Andrew Street. Susan Whitehead died in Isleham in early 1921.
John married for a second time to Nora Eleanor Mitcham (1887-1943) on 8th August 1921 in Bromley, Kent. Nora had been born and raised in Cambridge and in 1911 had been working as a clerk. John and Nora lived at 76 Hills Road. He died whilst on holiday in September 1923 at the Royal Hotel in Lowestoft.
Martha Whitehead (née Crisford) (20 November 1825 – 3 July 1897)
Martha was the John Whitehead’s mother. She was the daughter of Stephen and Anne Crisford and was born in Cambridge. She was baptised on 6 December 1825. She married the Reverend Frederick William Whitehead(1827-1895) at St. Paul’s Church on 11 July 1850. In April 1851 the coupl were living in Birmingham where Frederick was the curate of St. Mark’s Church in the city. They had at least six children: John Edleston Ledsam, Mary Ann Frances (1857-1890), Frederick Charles Martin (1858-1893), Alice Catherine Whitehead (1861-1926), Mercia Drawbridge (1863-1925) and Edith Agnes (1866-1940).
In 1871 the family were living at 63 Hills Road and were running a boarding school. Frederick was Curate of Impington and also the schoolmaster. In 1881/1891 they were living at Mostyn House on Brooklands Avenue. Their household consisted of a lady’s maid, cook, housemaid and houseboy. Rev. Whitehead died on 3 May 1895 aged 68 years old. Martha died in July 1897 at Mostyn House, aged 71 years old.
Cambridge University Alumni Database
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]