CFHS code : AG216

Parish : St Andrew the Great

Inscription : In Ever Loving Memory of EDITH EMILY WHITMORE Treasured Memories of b July 26 1867 d July 6 1917 ERNEST REGINALD WHITMORE Treasured Memories of b April 9 1888 d June 19 1888 GEORGE FREDERICK WHITMORE treasured Memories of b June 24 1863 d Dec 17 1922

Monument : Kerb stones

Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey

Lat Lon : 52.202924, 0.13637421 – click here for location

Rhe Whitmore kerbstones on the left and the Ellison cross on the right. March 2021

Monument

Hidden in undergrowth 2 rows from the west wall, in the parish area of St Andrew the Great, this set of kerb stones are in good condition. The monument on the right is that of Edith’s parents John & Emily Ellison.

Inscription

In Ever Loving Memory of EDITH EMILY WHITMORE  born July 26 1867 died July 6 1917

ERNEST REGINALD WHITMORE  born April 9 1888 died June 19 1888

GEORGE FREDERICK WHITMORE  born June 24 1863 died Dec 17 1922

Edith Emily Whitmore (née Ellison) (1867-1917)  

Edith was the daughter of John Ellison, a solicitor and his wife Emily (née Welldon). She was born in Cambridge.

Edith aged 18, from the Whitmore family archive.

When she was just 18 Edith married George Frederick Whitmore, aged 22. The wedding took place on 16th June 1886, at the church of St Andrew the Great. They moved into 20 Bateman Street, Cambridge, where Edith bore three children: Ernest Reginald (1888-1888), Cyril George (1889) and Eric (1894).

The 1911 census shows George, Edith and Eric in Great Shelford Cambridge.  They then moved to Methwold where Edith died on 6th July 1917, when she was 40 years old.

Edith & George’s wedding.

Ernest Reginald Whitmore (1888-1888)

Ernest died at the age of 2 months at 20 Bateman Street.

George Frederick Whitmore (1863-1922)

George was born in Cambridge on 24th June 1863, to George, a wine merchant from Islington  and Mary née Austin from Salle on Norfolk. George had two older siblings Elizabeth (1848) and Rosa (1854). Both girls were born in Norfolk. The family lived at 13 Downing Street, which is off  St Andrews Street in the centre of Cambridge. At the age of 8 George was boarding  at John Barnham’s School, 3 Alma Terrace. His parents were living in Downing Street and were affluent enough to keep a housemaid and a cook. George Snr became an alderman of the city and also one of the private company board members that brought electricity to Cambridge.

George Frederick was no less industrious than his father. He became a wine merchant owning a wine shop in Cambridge, was an inventor and patentee as well as having a military career serving in the 3rd Volunteer Battalion – Cambridge from circa 1887 – Captain, Boer War. Major and Town Major (France 1914/15) and Group Captain RAF from April 1st 1918.  He was awarded the Freedom of Cambridge in 1901. He was also the first licenced commercial grower of tobacco in England (The Glebe Wood estate Methwold, Norfolk).

After Edith’s death George married his cousin Mary Matilda Austin in 1920. George died on 17th December 1922 at 131 Bells Road, Gorleston.

These three photos are of G.F. Whitmore.  The one with the gown over military uniform was taken at the Boer War homecoming in Cambridge 1901 – the occasion being the awarding of the University Hon. degree and the Freedom of Cambridge award. The second being taken in 1914 in recognisable Army uniform prior to setting off to France in 1914, the last being a less recognisable (at the time) of an RAF Group Captain uniform at the formation of the Royal Air Force on 1st of April 1918. The RAF was formed from the previous two air services of Army Royal Flying Corps and the Royal Naval Air Service. His obituary can be read here

George Whitmore in 1918
George Whitmore in 1901. From the Whitmore family archive
George Whitmore in 1914. From the Whitmore family archive

[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]

Sources:

CFHS parish records and Census transcripts
familysearch.org
Freebmd

Researched by Tony Whitmore.  Edited by Mary Naylor

Edith Emily Whitmore; Ernest Reginald Whitmore; George Frederick Whitmore