CFHS code : CL92

Parish : St Clement

Inscription : Sacred to the Memory of JOHN CHARLES WILES d 2nd April 1934 aged 55 also of FANNY BEATRICE WILES d 23 Feb 1944 aged 67

Monument : Kerb stones/Flowerholder

Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey

Lat Lon : 52.202472, 0.13850382 – click here for location

Monument

Inscription

John Charles Parsons Wiles (1878 – 2 April 1934)

John was born in Addington in Northamptonshire.  His parents were Alfred and Mary Wiles.  Alfred was working as a tailor and grocer in 1881, and John grew up with his siblings on the High Street in Little Addington.  By the time he was 13 years old the family had moved to Alexander Terrace in Peterborough, where Alfred was working as a tailor.  John married Fanny Colbert in the Old Fletton area of Peterborough on 10th July 1900.

John and Fanny had two sons: William Alfred [1902-1969] and John Cecil [1907-1983].  In 1901 the couple were living at 65 Silver Street in Fletton and John was working as a clerk in a brickworks.  In 1911 they were still living in Peterborough and he was working as an ‘assistant superintendent for a life assurance company’.  He signed up to fight in the 1st World War in June 1915, and served as a Gunner in the Royal Field Artillery.   At some point John and Fanny must have moved to Cambridge, as they were living at 29 Emery Street in 1930.  He died at Addenbrookes Hospital at the age of 55.

Fanny Beatrice Wiles [nee Colbert] (23 August 1876 – 23 February 1944)

Fanny was born and grew up in Oundle.  Her father William worked as a groom, and her mother Emma was a dressmaker.  She married John Wiles when she was 23 years old.  She continued to live at 29 Emery Street after being widowed and died there aged 67 years old.

Claire Martinsen

Source: Ancestry/newspaper archives

[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]

Fanny Beatrice Wiles; John Charles Wiles