CFHS code : AG511
Parish : St Andrew the Great
Inscription : headstone In Loving Memory of Dear husband CHARLES WILLIAM WILSON d April 12 1919 aged 42 also ELIZABETH GUEST WILSON d Sep 30 1958 aged 84 kerbs In Loving Memory of ASKEW WILSON d April 17 1915 aged 70 also MARY ANN WILSON d Jan 5th 1935 aged 82 additional to kerb on small plate To mark their respect the Corporation Officials were allowed to join in the erection of this memorial
Monument : Headstone/Kerb stones/Flowerholder
Above information amended from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon : 52.202967, 0.13702017 – click here for location
These kerbstones and supported stone, located in the northern section of the parish of Andrew the Great, are midway between the west path and the centre circle. 9 rows west along the east west path from the centre circle, and 8 monuments north.
In Loving Memory of my dear husband CHARLES WILLIAM WILSON
Who died April 12 1919 aged 42 years’
‘Also ELIZABETH GUEST WILSON who died Sep 30. 1958 aged 84 years’
‘In Loving Memory of ASKEW WILSON died April 17 1915 aged 70 years’
‘Also MARY ANN WILSON died Jan 5th 1935 aged 82’
additional to west kerb on small plate
To mark their respect the Corporation Officials were allowed to join in the erection of this memorial
Relationship: Father, mother, son and daughter in law
Charles William Wilson (14 June 1876 – 12 April 1919)
Known as Will, he was the only son of Askew and Mary Ann Wilson. He worked as a solicitors clerk and married Elizabeth Moody in 1902. In 1911 the couple were living at Myrtle House,38 Victoria Park, with Elizabeth’s mother Jane and Will was documented as being an assistant overseer for Chesterton Urban District Council.
He joined the R.A.F. in May 1918, aged 41 years old. and was sent for training in Blandford, Dorset. He then served in northern Italy for six months before being sent back to the Royal Herbert Hospital, Woolwich ‘as his health was failing’. He died in Woolwich ‘as the result of the strain on his system caused by six months’ campaigning’.
His obituary noted that ‘Mr Wilson had aquired in earlier days a reputation as a successful rider in motor cycle races. He possessed several cups, including one brought back from Holland, when he took part in tests and races in the Netherlands. He leaves a widow, but no children’. He was buried at Mill Road Cemetery on 17 April 1919 and Elizabeth left a wreath with the message ‘in loving memory of my dear husband, from ‘Bo”
Elizabeth Guest Wilson (née Moody) (11 December 1873 – 30 September 1958)
Elizabeth was the only daughter of George Guest Moody (1841-1885) and Jane Elizabeth (née Hatley) (1836-1916). George was a compositor/printer and she grew up at 8 Elm Street (1881). After her father’s death in November 1885 she lived with her mother at Elm Street (1891) and then 1 Eden Street (1901). Elizabeth worked as a dressmaker and her mother as a college cook. She married Will Wilson when she was 28 years old and continued to live at Myrtle House, Victoria Road after his death. Elizabeth died in Royston aged 84 years old.
Askew Wilson (1844 – 17 April 1915)
Askew was the son of Charles and Elizabeth and was born and raised at Cambridge, Trumpington. His father was an agricultural labourer, and aged 16 Askew was working as the same. He married Annie Bloom (1849-1870) on 21 September 1869 in Burwell but was widowed when Annie died in July 1870. In 1871 he was working at the Bird Bolt Tap, 10-11 St Andrew Street, before marrying Mary Ann Williams in 1875. The couple had three children: Charles William, Ellen Charlotte (1880-1962) and Fernande Louise (1889-1984). In 1878 Askew became a Sergeant of the Mace and the family lived at 23 St. Andrew’s Street (1881), 5 Priory Road (1891/1901) and 192 Sturton Street (at least 1911 onwards).
In July 1889 the Cambridge Commons Committee ‘found it neccessary that St. Matthew’s Piece should be under the care of someone who would attend to the beds and the grass etc and they had made arrangements with Askew Wilson, one of the Sergeants-at-Mace who lives near to take charge of the Piece and do the necessary work for 6s per week’. Askew was one of three Sergeant-at Mace’s and served under 24 Mayors during his tenure. He was also employed at Pembroke College as ‘hall staff’. He died at Sturton Street aged 70 years old and was buried on 21 April 1915. His obituary said that ‘he was highly esteemed for the diligent and reliable way in which he invariably carried out his duties and he worthily unheld the dignity of the Mayoralty on all occassions’. His funeral was attended by the Mayor, the Town Clerk, The Medical Officer of Health, the Borough Dentist, The Keeper of the Guildhall, the Common Crier and representatives of the hall staff at Pembroke College.
At a Council meeting the week after his death ex-Mayor Alderman William Potter Spalding said ‘that no one who had not held the position of Mayor could appreciate to the full extent the faithful services of Askew Wilson. He could always be relied upon to be there when he was wanted and he made the office of Mayor very much lighter work than it otherwise would be’.
Mary Ann Wilson (née Williams) (1852 – 5 January 1935)
Mary was born in Girton and is believed to have been the daughter of William and Mary Williams. William was a groom/gardener, Mary was a laundress and the family lived at 14 Princes Street (1861). She died in Cambridge aged 82 years old.
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]