CFHS code : MC66
Parish : St Michael
Inscription : ——- [WISEMAN] —- ELIZABETH wife of above d Jul 9 1880 age 66
Monument : Stone cross
Above information amended from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon : 52.202614, 0.13761792 – click here for location
This cross stands 1 row east of the path that goes round the centre circle, in the parish area of St Michael. The inscription is carved but only Elisabeth’s is now legible. We know, from the grave register that Elizabeths husband Henry and two of their children, are also buried here
Ilegible – presumed to be for Henry Wiseman
ELIZABETH wife of above died July 9 1880 age 66
Henry Richard Wiseman (c 1802 – August 1871)
A Henry Wiseman was baptised in the parish of All Saints in 1805. This would have been in the old church that once stood in St John’s St and is now the site of All Saint’s Garden. His parents were not named in the parish register. He became a book binder living and working at 9 Trinity St on the corner with Rose Crescent. This property was rented, and in 1832 had come up for sale. From the advertisement we learn that it had a basement kitchen, 2 parlours, workshop and yard on the ground floor, 2 keeping rooms and 3 bedrooms on the first floor, one keeping room and 1 bedroom on the second floor and 2 good attics. We do not know who bought the property but Henry lived there until his death
He married Elizabeth Brasher on August 20th 1840 at St Paul’s church in Bedford and as his family grew his business prospered 1851 he employed 7 men, 2 women and 4 apprentices
This was the year of the Great Exhibition in Crystal Palace, where a bible printed at the Pitt press and bound by Henry in royal scarlet morocco and tooled, with illuminated vellum fly-leaves was exhibited. In 1861 he employed 10 men & 4 women, 1871 – 7 men, 8 women and 3 boys. Henry died on August 24th that year aged 69.
His son Alexander had been working with his father, but he did not take over the business. and by 1881 had followed his elder brother Henry into the church and become a clergyman, followed later by youngest brother Alfred. All the children eventually moved away from Cambridge.
Elizabeth Wiseman (c 1814 -July 9th 1880)
Elizabeth was born in Bedford to Mary and John Brasher (some records say Brashier). John may have been a confectioner. After her marriage she moved to live at 9 Trinity St. In 1841 her mother was staying with her and Henry and in 1851 her unmarried sister Mary was staying.
She bore at least 8 children – Henry John (1841), Mary Caroline (1843), Alexander William (1845), Helen Elizabeth (1848), Charles Herbert (1850 -1862), Frederick James (1852), Thomas George (1855-1855) and Alfred Richard (1856).
Elizabeth always had at least one house servant and when the children were small she had a nurse maid.
Elizabeth died at 10 Fitzwilliam St.
Thomas George Wiseman (1855 -12th September1855)
Thomas was 5 months old when he died.
Charles Herbert Wiseman ( 1850 – 26th May 1862)
Charles was 12 when he died
By Mary Naylor
CFHS parish records
Great Exhibition catalogue part 111 Manufactures & Fine Arts
[If you have any information about this person, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]