The original photo, by Roy Hammans, showing the headstones along the north west wall. Some of these monuments are now fallen or hidden from view.

In the parish area of St Andrew the Less. This headstone was not found by CFHS during their survey in 1999 -2003 but a photo from the 1980s has recently been found. The Woods’ headstone is on the far right.


In Loving Memory of SARAH the beloved wife of Thomas Woods,
who died March 13 1889, aged 64 years.

“Friendless no, not friendless.
For Jesus is my friend;
I change. But He remaineth
True, faithful to the end.

Happy? Yes, so happy,
With joy too deep for words.
A precious, sure foundation.
A joy that is my Lord’s.

Also THOMAS WOODS.husband of the above
who died March 19.. 1904. Aged 78 years

Sarah Woods (née Hinson) (1825 –  13 March 1889)

Sarah was the daughter of John and Susanna and was born in Elsworth, seven miles north west of Cambridge.   By the age 15 she was living at 47 Gold Street, Cambridge with her widowed mother and siblings.  She married Thomas Woods in 1850 and they had two children: Henry James (1851-1905) and Mary Ann (1853-1926).  The family lived at 128 Fitzroy Street, where Thomas worked  initially as a confectioner/baker. By 1871 he was working as a ‘soda water manufacturer’ with son Henry helping him with the business.  Sarah was living at 17 Brunswick Place when she died.

Thomas Woods (12 November 1825 – 19 March 1904)

Thomas was born in Sudbury, Suffolk and was the son of Samuel and Elizabeth Woods.  His father worked as a baker, and the family later moved to live at 18 James Street.  In 1851 he was working as a tailor, but later became a confectioner and then mineral water manufacturer.  In November 1889 Thomas appeared in front of magistrates accused of having been contravened the Factory Acts on three occasions.  Mr Hoare, a factory inspector was the prosecutor. The first instance was for not giving Thomas Hemings a half day holiday during the week.  Thomas said he had taken a half day holiday on Thursday rather than Saturday, but Mr Hoare disputed this.   The second was for employing Henry Pollendine as an errand boy, Henry had worked from 7am to 7.45pm one day, whereas Mr Hoare claimed that he should have finished work at 3pm.  The third offence Thomas was accused of was of not providing a face mask for his worker Alfred Orders.  Alfred said he had been provided with a mask, but did not like wearing it as it ‘injured the eyesight’.  Thomas’ lawyer contended that the case should be dismissed.  The last case was dismissed, but he was fined 10s plus costs for the other two.

Woods Newspaper advert 1902

After Thomas was widowed he married for a second time to Elizabeth Fulcher (1849-1893) in 1890.  They moved to live at Barrie Villas, 28 Abbey Road (1891).  Elizabeth died in early 1893 and in 1901 he was living at Barrie Villas by himself, by this point Thomas had retired and his son had taken over the running of the business.  He died aged 78 years old, and his son Henry died the following year.

Cambridgeshire Family History Society Transcripts of Parish & Census records


Newspaper archives

To see more photos by Roy Hammans visit
The Golden Fleece
Creative Camera Archive

By Mary Naylor and Claire Martinsen

[If you have any information about this family, please contact us at]

Sarah Woods; Thomas Woods