CFHS code : HT34

Parish : Holy Trinity

Inscription : kerbs In Loving Memory of JANET BAILEY the beloved wife of T F BAILEY d Feb 14th 1919 aged 54 also THOMAS FREDERICK BAILEY d July 14th 1946 aged 76 cross In Loving Memory of our boy HAROLD THOMAS BAILEY d July 9th 1930 aged 11 loved by all flower holder Dear Mother and Father

Monument : Stone cross/Kerb stones/Flowerholder

Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey

Monument

Inscription

Relationship: Husband, wife and grand-son

Janet Bailey (née Morgan)  (1865 – 14 February 1919)

Janet was born in Pontfaen, a village to the north west of Brecon in Wales and was the daughter of James. She married Thomas Bailey on 6 May 1891 at St. John’s Church, Stratford in Essex and they had three children: Thomas William (1893-), Janet Edith (1895-1995) and one more child who died as an infant. Thomas worked as a railway stoker and they lived at Cann Hall, Essex (1901). By 1911 they had moved to live at 104 Hemingford Road and  Thomas worked for Great Eastern Railway as a locomotive shedman. Janet died at home aged 54 years old and newspapers said ‘she had long been a great sufferer, but had maintained a bright cheery spirit to the last’.

Her funeral took place on 20 February at St. Philip’s Church and it was reported ‘a large number of people were present to pay a last tribute of respect’. In February 1920 an In Memoriam was placed in the Cambridge Daily News which read; In loving memory of Janet Bailey, the beloved wife of T.F. Bailey who passed away 14th February 1919. ‘Gone but not fogotten’ – from her loving husband and children’.

Thomas Frederick Bailey (6 May 1870 – 14 July 1946)

Thomas was born in Peckham and was the son of Thomas William Bailey and Jane.  He married Janet Morgan when he was 21 years old and after her death married widow Kate Coe (née Diver) (1871-1942) in 1920. The couple continued to live at 104 Hemingford Road and in 1939 he was documented as being a retired ‘loco foreman L.N.E.R’. He was widowed for a second time in July 1942 and Kate was buried with her first husband James at Histon Cemetery.  Thomas died at  The County Hospital aged 76 years old.

Harold Thomas Bailey (28 November 1918 – 9 July 1930)

Harold was the son of Thomas William Bailey and Florence Emily (née Greathurst) (1893-1971). He was born at 51 Princes Road Teddington and baptised at St. Mary’s Church on 19 January 1919.  Thomas worked as a locomotive fitter. Harold died at St. Bartholomew’s Hospital aged 11 years old and was buried at Mill Road Cemetery on 15 July 1930.

Sources:

Ancestry

Newspaper archives

Parish burial records transcribed by CFHS

by Claire Martinsen

[If you have any information about this family please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]

Harold Thomas Bailey; Janet Bailey; Thomas Frederick Bailey