CFHS code : HT219
Parish : Holy Trinity
Inscription : In Loving Memory of CAROLINE BARKER d Feb [–] 1912 aged 80 also of GEORGE BARKER her husband d Jan 26 1915 aged 84
Monument : Headstone (broken & fallen)
Above information amended from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Caroline Barker (née Press) (1832 – February 1912)
Caroline was the daughter of Frederick and Susanna (née Bailey) and was baptised on 4 March 1832. Frederick was a ‘chimney sweet and soot merchant’ who died when Caroline was a year old. Susanna Press then worked as a shoe closer. Caroline married George Barker on Christmas Day 1852 and they had two children: Clara Elizabeth (1853-1908) and James Henry (1855-). George was a carpenter, Caroline worked as a college servant and they lived at Emmanuel Street (1861- 1901). The couple then moved to 25 Royal Albert Almshouses, Hills Road (1901 onwards). Places at the almshouses were allocated on the basis of subscriber votes, and on 30 March 1901, George placed a newspaper advert thanking people for their support at the recent election. Caroline died at the almshouses and was buried at Mill Road Cemetery on Valentine’s Day 1912.
George Henry Barker (1831 – 26 January 1915)
George was baptised on 30 December 1831 at St. Andrew the Great Church and was the son of John and Charlotte Barker. He also died at the Royal Albert Homes aged 84 years old.
Parish burial records transcribed by CFHS
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]