CFHS code : HT356l
Parish : Holy Trinity
Inscription : In Loving Memory of our dear MAURICE SIDNEY (TOM) BATTERBEE d May 12 1929
Monument : Kerb stones
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Maurice Sidney (Tom) Batterbee (1878 – 12 May 1929)
Tom was born in Wisbech and was the son of William and Agnes (née Binks) Batterbee. His father was a methodist minster and in 1881 the family were living at 3 Clapham Road in Lowestoft before moving to Ely (1891).
In 1901 Tom was lodging at Kirby Street in Kings Lynn and working as a railway shunter. He married Mabel Agnes Rayner (1876-1949) in 1902 in King’s Lynn and the couple had one son: Claude William Benjamin (1906-1987). Claude was born in King’s Lynn so they must have spent their early married life there, although Mabel was originally from Cambridge.
They had moved to live 314 Mill Road by 1911. In August 1911 Tom was involved in an accident when he was ‘travelling on footboard of brake van being propelled over points. He was leaning outwards and looking backwards to check if the engine was clear of the points when his heads was struck by an engine travelling on an adjacent road having not heard a warning whistle’. He suffered injuries to his groin, head, right shoulder and left wrist.
The family lived at 6 Thoday Street (1914/1915) and 5 St Philip’s Road (1920). In 1925 the family were living at 121 Blinco Grove, and Tom died there aged 51 years old.
Detail of the accident from the ‘Railway Work, Life & Death’ project, run by the University of Portsmouth and National Railway Museum: www.railwayaccidents.port.ac.uk.
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any further information about this person, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]