CFHS code : HT126a
Parish : Holy Trinity
Inscription : Sacred to the Memory of EDMUND JOHN BILTON d Aug 24 191 aged 78 also of MARY ANN BILTON his beloved wife d Dec 26 1928 in her 92nd year
Monument : Square stone block
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Edmund John Bilton (23 May 1839 – 24 August 1916)
Edmund was the son of John and Rebecca (née Ship) and was baptised at St. Andrew the Great church on 16 June 1839. He grew up at Petty Cury (1851) where his father was a publican and then 3 Parker Street (1861). Edmund married Mary Cooke on 23 August 1864 at Holy Trinity Church. Notices of the marriage noted that he was a member of King’s College and also Trinity College choir. He worked as a lay clerk/ music teacher and the couple lived at 1 Brunswick Walk (1871), Stanley House Mill Road (1881/1891) and then Rimutaka, 47 Tenison Road. By 1901 he was described as retired and died at home. His funeral took place on 30 August 1916.
Mary Ann Bilton (née Cooke) (27 August 1837 – 26 December 1928)
Mary was the eldeest child of Joseph and Eliza (née Chesser) and grew up at 61 & 62 King Street where her father was an upholsterer. She was baptised on 8 October 1837 and before her marriage to Edmund Bilton was a governess. She died at Tenison Road aged 91 years old.
Parish burial records transcribed by CFHS
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]