CFHS code : AS55
Parish : All Saints
Inscription : In Loving Memory of JOHN BEVAN BULLEN who peacefully passed over November 1st 1933 aged 69 also FLORENCE E BULLEN wife of the above passed over March 24th 1950 also Captain BRYAN STUBBINGS whose dear spirit passed over March 7th 1946 aged 49
Monument : Headstone/Kerb stones/Ground slab
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon : 52.203511, 0.13725118 – click here for location
This monument, located in the parish of All Saints, stands on the northern boundary wall on the corner where the wall runs down to the north gate. It is often heavily overgrown
In Loving Memory of JOHN BEVAN BULLEN who peacefully passed over November 1st 1933 aged 69 years
“He is not dead. He does not sleep.
He awakened to a higher life.”
Also FLORENCE E BULLEN wife of the above passed over March 24th 1950
Also Captain BRYAN STUBBINGS whose dear spirit passed over March 7th 1946 aged 49 years
“Till we meet again.”
Relationships: Husband, wife, son-in-law
John Bevan Bullen (1863 – 1 November 1933)
John was born in Lifton, a small village on the Devon/Cornwall border. He was born Jonathan, but appears to have been known as John through his life. He was the son of carpenter James and his wife Elizabeth and by the age of 18 was working as a tailor. He had moved to Cambridge by at least 1891 and lodged at 21 Great Eastern Street with John and Lizzie Perry. John Perry was also a tailor and John married his daughter Florence in 1892. The couple went to live at 60 Mill Road (1901) and had one daughter: Silvia Gladys (1895-1978). The family lived at 40 Tenison Road (1911) and John was documented as both a tailor and employer in the census of that year.
The family later moved to live at 89 Mill Road, and bought 91 and 93 Mill Road in 1919 in order to run the tailoring business from the business premises there. However both premises already had tenants who refused to let the Bullens take occupation of the front trading part of the houses. The case went to court in June 1920 and it was agreed that the Bullens would take possession of the front rooms in three months time. The tailoring business was subesquently moved to 91-93 Mill Road.
John was a member of the Salisbury Club on Mill Road and was elected Vice-President of the Club (1900 and 1918). He died at home aged 69 years old.
Florence Elizabeth Bullen (née Parry) (4 March 1871 – 24 March 1950)
Florence was the daughter of tailor John Marris Perry and his wife Lizzie. She was born in Hitchen but the family had moved to Cambidge by at least 1881 and she grew up at 113 Sturton Street and then at at Great Eastern Street. She married John Bullen when she was 21 years old and after being widowed continued to run the tailoring/haberdashery shop at 91-93 Mill Road with her daughter and son-in-law. She was still living on Mill Road in 1950, but died at 29 Union Lane aged 79 years.
Bryan Frederick Stubbings (25 February 1897 – 7 March 1946)
Bryan was the son of blacksmith Frederick (1863-1908) and his laundress wife Harriett (née Tapping) (1862-1931). He grew up on Vinery Road with his aunt Annie and cousin Ronald. Harriett and Annie were sisters who ran a laundry business together from home. Bryan trained as draper with Eden Lilley and when he enlisted in the army in November 1914 he had four months of a four year apprenticeship to complete.
He married Silvia Bullen on 7 July 1921 at St. Phillips’ Church and the couple had one child: José Pamela (1928-1984). He went into partnership with his parents-in-law and worked as a tailor’s outfitter (1939) . The family lived at the shop premises on Mill Road.
Both Bryan and Silvia were keen musicians and in February 1939 coordinated the entertainment at the Stationmasters annual lunch held at the Railway Social Club. The Cambridge Independent Press reported that ‘the entertainment was provided by Bryan Stubbings and a concert party consisting of Sidney Ison (bass baritone), Arthur J. Thompson (grave and gay monologues), Sidney Clover (comedian) and Sylvia Bullen (pianist). They appeared together and also as individuals, the whole being compered by Bryan Stubbings’.
In June 1939 he compered an open air ‘pop’ (aka a popular concert) on Christ’s Pieces. Joan Metcalfe was a local dancing teacher and was key in the organisation of the ‘pop’. She announced to the audience that her partner had been unable to appear so that one of the girls would help her out instead. Bryan Stubbings was the ‘girl’ dressed up as a woman. The Cambridge Daily News reported ‘it was an uproarious piece of comedy which deserved to be seen again. Mr Stubbings who compered the show brightly and wittily, also sang two of his own numbers, ‘ARP’ and ‘since the missus went to learn first-aid’. Both were written by him, the music for the latter being composed by Sylvia Bullen. Both have the typical Stubbings’ touch – topicality with a touch of comedy. Nice work Bryan!’
Bryan died at Mill Road aged 49 years old. Sylvia Stubbings went to live in Kent with her daughter José and died there in 1978
Bryan’s sister Anne Mercy Stubbings (1894-1898) is also buried at Mill Road Cemetery
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any information about this family please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]