CFHS code : BE74
Parish : St Bene’t
Inscription : In Loving Memory of EMILY the beloved wife of GEORGE CLARK who passed peacefully away March 20th 1913 aged 45
Monument : Headstone/Kerb stones
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
This headstone decorated with carved ivy leaves and metal letters is in good order. It is located just to the east of the west path, but usually hidden by vegetation.
In Loving Memory of EMILY the beloved wife of GEORGE CLARK
Who passed peacefully away March 20th 1913 aged 45 years
“he giveth His beloved sleep”
Emily Clark née Godlington (c.1868 – 20 March 1913)
Emily was the daughter of William & Mary Ann Godlington. her father was a butcher who died in 1884 at the age of 48. Her mother married a George Newell the folding year. She was brought up at 179 East Road and 9 Melbourne Place and worked as a dressmaker She married builder George Clark (1870-1938) on October 5th 1895 and in 1901 the couple were living at 22 St. John’s Road. On the census of that year George was documented as being a builder/carpenter and employing other people in his business. In 1911 they were living at 106 Newmarket Road with Emily’s mother Mrs Newell.
Emily died aged 45 at 106 Newmarket Rd. , and George married for a second time in October 1918 to Daisy Elizabeth Jakes (1893-1970).
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any further information about this person, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]