CFHS code : HT489
Parish : Holy Trinity
Inscription : In Loving Memory of MARY COWARD d May 24th 1911 aged 55 WILLIAM JOHN COWARD d Nov 28th 1929 aged 75
Monument : Kerb stones
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
These kerb stones, in the parish area of Holy Trinity, are located to the west of the east path. They were cleared by family members in December 2016. The inscriptions are still intact.
‘In Loving Memory of MARY COWARD died May 24th 1911 aged 55’
‘WILLIAM JOHN COWARD died Nov 28th 1929 aged 75’
Mary Coward (née Burrell) (1855 – 1911)
Mary was the daughter of George and Mary (née Allen from Bishop Stortford) Burrell. George is described as a cabdriver. She was was born at 47 Russell Street, Cambridge on 6th October 1855. In 1857 she lost her mother to Typhus 18. She married William John Coward on December 25th 1872.
William John Coward (1853 -1929) William was the eldest child of William Oliver and Mary (née Ball) Coward. He was a tailor. The family lived at 46 Maid’s Causeway. Every one of his eleven children were trained in a profession so that they could earn a living – even the eldest Alice, who was blind: she was trained as a masseuse. Later in life he let rooms and became a landlord.
On 21st July 1887 he saved a man from drowning, and was awarded a bronze medal from the Royal Humane Society – which he was photographed wearing. He also served on the Board of Guardians for the workhouse and the board of directors at a local building society
The Children click on the pictures to view the full image