CFHS code : HT181
Parish : Holy Trinity
Inscription : In Loving Memory of WILLIAM COWELL d Jun 1 1924 aged 67 also AGNES wife of WILLIAM COWELL b 21st Aug 1850 d 30 Jun 1934
Monument : Headstone/Kerb stones
Above information amended from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
William Cowell (1856 – 1 June 1924)
William was baptised at Holy Trinity Church, Heydon on Christmas Day 1856. He ws the eldest son of William and Jane Cowell, and grew up in the village of Heydon where his father was a farm labourer. Aged 13 William was also working as an agricultural labourer, before moving to Cambridge where he worked as a railway porter. In April 1881 he was lodging at Brooklands Lodge with the Trotman family and married Agnes Bonnett later that summer. The couple had one son: Percy William (1884-1947), and from 1891 onwards William worked as a coal merchant. The family lived at 304 Mill Road and William died at home aged 67 years old. His funeral took place on 4 June 1924.
Agnes Cowell (née Bonnett) (1850- 30 June 1934)
Agnes was born in Ashley cum Silverley, and baptised there on 24 May 1850 (this puts her date of birth on the grave monument in question). She was the daughter of James and Elizabeth (née Seeley) and grew up in Ashley where her father was a labourer. Before her marriage to William Cowell she was a domestic servant to artist William Beales Redfarn and lived at Inveruglas House, Parkside. After she was widowed Agnes lived with son Percy and daughter in law Fanny at 55 Hurst Park Avenue and died there aged 83 years old.
Parish burial records transcribed by CFHS
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]