CFHS code : HT99

Parish : Holy Trinity

Inscription : In Loving Memory of GEORGE ANTHONY HEWES d July 3 1920 aged 30 also his beloved wife LILY JANE HEWES d Oct 16 1933 aged 42

Monument : Kerb stones

Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey

Hewes kerb stones and flowerholder 2019
Hewes inscription


These kerb stones with flower holder are located in the south east corner of the Cemetery, in the parish area of Holy Trinity, approximately three  rows from the east wall and twelve rows from the south wall, close to the Commonwealth War grave of A.A. Wallis.


In Loving Memory
of GEORGE ANTHONY HEWES d July 3 1920 aged 30
also his beloved wife LILY JANE HEWES d Oct 16 1933 aged 42

George Anthony Hewes (1880 – 2 July 1920)

George was born in Collingham in Nottinghamshire –  a village six miles outside Newark on Trent.  He grew up on Low Street in Collingham with his parents George and Ann Hewes.  George Hewes was a fruitgrower and gardener. By the age of 21 George had moved to Cambridge and was living at 37a Russell Street with his married sister Ellen and her family. He was working as a motor fitter at the time. He married Lily Symonds in late 1912 and they went to live at 99 York Street.

George served for three years as a private in the Army Service Corps, where he worked as a driver.  When he left the army he found it difficult to find employment, but took a job as a labourer for local builder Alfred Munson.  He had been working for six weeks when he had a fatal accident after falling from a ladder on 1 July.  An inquest was held into his death. George had been working as as part of a team who were doing alterations to the White Horse pub on Castle Street.  It had been raining and George was coming down the ladder carrying a bucket.  He fell to the ground and was bleeding from a wound at the back of his neck. He was immediately taken to Addenbrookes Hospital by taxi.  He was unconscious when he arrived at Addenbrookes and bleeding from a wound on the left side of his head.  An operation was performed to try and  relieve the haemorrhage on the brain, which it was assumed he had. George never recovered and died the following day on 2 July (the grave monument reads 3 July).  At the post-mortem it was discovered that George had fractured his skull in the fall, and a verdict of ‘accidental death’ was recorded.

George was buried at Mill Road Cemetery on 7 July 1920.  He left a widow Lily, and also a son: George Anthony (1918-1990) . A large number of friends were said to have come to the funeral.  A floral tribute left by Lily read ‘in ever loving memory to my devoted husband from his heart-broken wife and baby’.

Lily Jane Hewes (née Symonds) (February 1891 – 16 October 1933)

Lily was born in Cambridge and was the daughter of labourer Arthur Symonds and his wife Druscilla.  She was raised in the family home on Staffordshire Street, and aged 20 was working as a ‘daily’ domestic servant. She married when she was 21 years old.  Lily died at Addenbrookes Hospital aged 42 years old, she was living at 24a Cambridge Place at the time of her death.



Newspaper archives

by Claire Martinsen and Mary Naylor

[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at]

George Anthony Hewes; Lily Jane Hewes