CFHS code : HT304

Parish : Holy Trinity

east face
In Loving Memory of ALBERT EDWARD ODAMS died June 2nd 1915 aged 54 also MARY SMOOTHY the dearly loved mother of the above ALBERT EDWARD ODAMS d Oct 23rd 1912 aged [82] years also JOHN STRATTON ODAMS d July [15th 1863] aged 30

Monument : Stone cross (base only)/Kerb stones

Above information amended from Cambridge Family History Society Survey

The monument in June 2021.

Monument

This monument in the parish of Holy Trinity is located 2 rows north of the south path and roughly 9 rows from the central path. The cross broke many years ago. The inscription of metal letters has suffered some erosion. only the east face was checked in 2021.

Inscription

east face
In Loving Memory of ALBERT EDWARD ODAMS died June 2nd 1915 aged 54 years

Also MARY SMOOTHY the dearly loved mother of the above ALBERT EDWARD ODAMS died Oct 23rd 1912 aged 82 years

other face
Also JOHN STRATTON ODAMS d July [15th 1863] aged 30

Albert Edward Odams (1861 – 2 June  1915)

Albert was the only son of John and Mary Odams and was baptised on 28 April 1861. His father was a cabinet maker, who died when Albert was two years old.  Mary married for a second time and he grew up with his step father Charles and siblings at 13 King Street. He started working for the Post Office in August 1878 and worked there until his death.  In 1881 he was living at 13 King Street and was described as working as a ‘Post Office stamper’, but by 1891 was working as a telegraphist.  He  lived with his mother  at 74 King Street (1911) and died aged 54 years old at 9 Parker Street (the home of his neice Gertrude Elizabeth Odams).

He was buried at Mill Road Cemetery on 7 June and the funeral was reported in the Cambridge Independent Press under the headline of ‘Funeral of Well-known Postal Official’. The report noted that he had been ill for a considerable time, and that he ‘was well known to those who had business at the counter of the G.P.O…his loss is severely felt by his many friends to whom he had endeared himself by his many fine qualites. Of a quiet, unassuming disposition he won the esteem of all who knew him’.

Mary Smoothy (née Taylor) (c.1830 – 23 October 1912)

Mary was the daughter of William  and Betsy Taylor and was baptised on 17 January 1830 in Cambridge. She married John Odams on 13 October 1858.  John was a cabinet maker and they had at least three children: Elizabeth Mary (1859-), Albert Edward, and Anne Louisa (1863-1863). She was widowed in 1863 and married widower Charles Smoothy (1830-1891) on 13 July1868.  Charles was a greengrocer whose wife Emma had died the previous year.  The couple lived at 13 King Street and had at least three sons: Walter Charles (1869-1944), William Taylor (1870-1942) and Charles Frederick (1873-1940). Charles Smoothy died at the Fulbourn Assylum in May 1891 and after his death Mary continued to work as a greengrocer  at 13 King Street (1901). She then went to live with her son Albert at 74 King Street (1911) and died in 1912 aged 82 years old.

John Stratton Odams (1833 – 15 July 1863)

John was the son of Richard and Mary Odams and was baptised at St. Andrew the Great Church on 16 June 1833. He died aged 30 years old.

Sources:

Ancestry

Newspaper archives

by Claire Martinsen

[If you have any  further information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]

Albert Edward Odams; John Stratton Odams; Mary Smoothy