CFHS code : PL352
Parish : St Paul
Inscription : SAMUEL [PEED] b July 13 1815 d Nov  1882 also of ESTHER his wife b Nov 27 1824 d Nov 2 1911
Monument : Coped stone/Stone cross
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Samuel (Sam) Peed (13 July 1815 – 6 November 1882)
Sam was born in Whittlesey and was the son of solicitor John Peed. He also trained as a solicitor and married Esther Sherwin on 12 June 1851 at St. Andrew’s Church, Holborn. The couple did not have any children and lived at Lensfield House (now the site of the University Chemistry Laboratory at the corner of Lensfield Road/Panton Street) from at least 1861 onwards.
Sam was an Alderman, magistrate and served two terms as Mayor of Cambridge (1870-1872). He worked as a solicitor to some of the Cambridge Colleges – and for example was Steward of Biggin Manor, Hertfordshire which was owned by King’s College and as such was responsible for communcation/payments from tenants of the Manor’s land (1854). King’s College also owned Barton Priory, Barton which he was also steward of. He served as Secretary and clerk of the Cambridge University and Town Waterworks (1855) and Clerk of the General meetings of the Lieutenancy of Cambridge. He also worked as a general solicitor in affairs of probate/wills etc.
Sam Peed was a visible local politician, a staunch and ‘partisan’ supporter of the Tory party and prolific letter writer to local newspapers. He was ill for the last two or three years of his life when ‘an insidious malady compelled him to retire, more or less, into private life and to this disease he finally succumbed…after a short and sudden prostration’. The Cambridge Chronicle and Journal printed an obituary on 11 November which read ‘The name of ‘Sam Peed’ is familiary to our political friends and foes, and his kindly bearing towards all will be frankly acknowledged…it matters little what line a man who stirs in public matters may persue so long as he keeps honest and true to his own principles and shows forbearance towards those who range themselves in opposite ranks. In memory of such an one the silent starting tear will not be roughly brushed away by warm heated friends. Nor will the kindly feeling of worthy political opponents be altogether sorrowless, and out of the many ever coming and going in this restless busy world, there will be some, and not a few, whom the death-knell will cause to remember with gratitude the charitable acts of the kind heart and liberal hand of ‘Sam Peed’.
His funeral took place at St. Paul’s Church on 11 November and was attended by the Vice Chancellor, Deputy Mayor, Master of Corpus Christi College, the Master of Sidney Sussex College, the Provost of King’s College and the Master of St. Catherine’s College. The coffin, ‘covered with white floral offerings from friends of the deceased, was of polished oak, with massive brass furniture and inner shells of elm and lead, was conveyed on an open funeral car, drawn by four horses, the procession starting from Lensfield about noon’. It was interred at Mill Road Cemetery ‘in a vault, situate on the west side of what is known as the ‘middle path’ of the Cemetery’.
Esther Peed (née Sherwin) (27 November 1824 – 2 November 1911)
Esther was born in Burslem, Stoke, Staffordshire and baptised there on 22 December 1824. She was the youngest daughter of Joseph and Sarah (née Sherwin) and before her marriage to Sam Peed was living in Shoreditch, London with his widowed mother and two siblings. After she was widowed she lived at Lensfield House (1891) and then 58 Bateman Street (1898 onwards) with her niece Elizabeth Sherwin Marriner and various servants. She died aged 86 years old and was buried at Mill Road Cemetery on 6 November 1911.
Lensfield House was advertised for rent in January 1898 and was described as a ‘capital residence with nearly two acres of well-timbered grounds’.
Parish burial records transcribed by CFHS
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]