CFHS code : HT257
Parish : Holy Trinity
Inscription : In Loving Memory of MARY ANNE TARRANT d Oct 3 1910 aged 45 EMILY ROSE TARRANT d Feb 15 1915 aged 4
Monument : Headstone/Kerb stones
Above information amended from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Close to the south wall 7 rows from the central path
In Loving Memory of MARY ANNE TARRANT
Entered into rest October 3 1910 aged 45
And EMILY ROSE TARRANT fell asleep February 15 1915. Aged 4 years
Mary Anne Tarrant (née Branfill) (c.1865 – 3 October 1910)
Mary was born in Lambeth and was the daughter of carpenter George Branfill.
She married Elijah Tarrant on 9 December 1896 at Holy Trinity Church, Gray’s Inn, London. Elijah was a publican living at 8 Wells Street when they married. The certificate documents he was a bachelor, but he had already been married to Florence and had at least five children from his first marriage. Mary was a 31 year old spinster and gave the same address as Elijah on the marriage certificate. They had four children: Dorothy Ellen (1899-1979), Annie May (1907-1966), Rose Emily (1911-1915) and one more child who died as an infant. They lived in London until at least 1899, and in 1901 were living at Exeter Road, Newmarket where Elijah was working as a house decorator. The family are then thought to have moved to live in Elijah’s home town of Cambridge where Mary died at 11 Vicarage Terrace aged 45 years old.
Emily Rose Tarrant (c. August 1910 – 15 February 1915)
Emily was born a few months before her mothers death. She died at 106 Fitzroy Street and her funeral took place on 19 February 1915.
From parish burial records it is known that Elijah Tarrant was also buried in the Holy Trinity area of Mill Road Cemetery and is thought to have been buried in the same grave as his wife and daughter
Elijah Elisha Tarrant (1861-November 1932)
Elijah was born in Cambridge and baptised on 16 June 1861. He was the second son of Elijah and Ellen (née Stepney) Tarrant. His father was a gunsmith who ran a shop at 16 Sussex Street which was also the Bushal and Strike pub. In 1891 he was living at Railway Buildings, Holborn London with wife Florence (1864-) and was working as a porter. He and Florence are believed to have had five children:Alice Elizabeth (1889-1978), Jessie (1891-), George Emmanuel (1892-1962), Cannon Henry Harry (1894-1975), Reginald Thomas (1896-1962). It is not known when Florence died, but he married for a second time in December 1896.
Elijah moved to Fitzroy Street after the death of Mary in 1910 and ran a confectionery shop. He died at 47 Fitzroy Street and his funeral took place on 2 December 1932.
Parish burial records transcribed by CFHS
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]