CFHS code : AG48
Parish : St Andrew the Great
Inscription : In Loving Memory of JEMIMA NEWSTEAD d Oct 30 1887 aged 78 also of EMMA the beloved wife of FRED BURWICK d June 18 1911 aged 73 also FREDERICK BURWICK d May 2  aged 91
Monument : Headstone (fallen)
Above information amended from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon : 52.202604, 0.13719301
Located four rows from the central path in the southern section of the parish. The inscription is now barely legible.
In Loving Memory of JEMIMA NEWSTEAD who died Oct. 30. 1887 aged 78 years
Also of EMMA the beloved wife of FRED BURWICK died June 18 1911 aged 73
Also FREDERICK BURWICK d May 2 1933 aged 91
Relationships: mother, daughter, son in law
Jemima Newstead (c.1809 – 30 October 1887)
Jemima was born in the Runtons on the North Norfolk coast and married Dennis Newstead (1805-1875). Dennis was a farm manager and in 1851 they were at the Mere Farm in Mannington where he was managing 253 acres and employing 13 men. By 1861 they were at Matlaske, 20 miles north west of Norwich where he managed 400 acres and 17 men, before moving to Barningham (1871). They had one daughter: Emma, and Dennis died in Barningham in July 1875. After his death Jemima moved to live in Cambridge with Emma and her husband Fred. She died at 30 Clarendon Street in 1887.
Emma Burwick (née Newstead) (1837 – 18 June 1911)
Emma was born in Erphingham in Norfolk and later became a dressmaker (1871). She married Fred Burwick in Barningham on 12 January 1875 and moved to Cambridge. The couple had one son: Harry Fred (1876-1954) and Fred worked as a builder and ‘sanitary engineer’. They lived at 30 Clarendon Street (1881) and then at 6 Emmanuel Road (1894 onwards). Emma died at home in 1911 aged 73.
Frederick Burwick (1842 – 12 May 1933)
Fred was born in Aldborough, Norfolk – a village about 8 miles south of Cromer and was baptised there on 10 July 1842. He was the son of James and Elizabeth Burwick and his father was a basket maker. By 1871 he was working as a carpenter and lodging with Katherine Shedd in Cambridge. He married Emma Newstead when he was 32 years old. He ran a company called Drake & Burwick from 1872-1876, but the partnership was dissolved in November 1876 with Fred moving his carpentry business to 4 South Street, and William Drake keeping his building business at 4 Broad Street.
In 1891 he was voted as the parish Guardian for the St. Andrew the Great parish. He defeated Mr W. Stearn, who then appealed the decision with the local Government Board claiming that some of the votes case were illegal. The case was heard in October 1891 and revolved around the validity of each and every vote cast for Fred. For example the vote of Mary Chapman was deemed to be invalid because she had signed the voting paper ‘Mrs Chapman’, whereas the vote of John Clarke who had marked his paper with an X was deemed valid. The Board eventually decided that some of the votes for Fred should be declared invalid and that Mr Stearn had therefore won the seat by a single vote. However Mr Stearn retired less than six months later in April 1892, and Fred once again stood for the post as a Liberal. The Cambridge Chronicle and Journal was not supportive of this move saying ‘his nomination will occasion the expense of a contested election. Perhaps after the result of the election last year this is natural, but we hope the electors will bear in mind the fact that Mr Burwick is for the second time putting the parish to the trouble of an election’. There were four candidates for three seats, and he came last in the contest – 80 votes behind George Stace who came third.
In April 1892 he published a pamphlet outlining his ideas on sanitation in the town. Cambridge at that time produced 22,500 tons of ‘solid refuse’ annually and there were issues in how to clear this. The Cambridge Chronicle and Journal noted that ‘we are fortunately getting beyond the time when refuse is indiscriminately thrown upon vacant spaces, although even now we fear that in some quarters the evil habit has not been entirely abolished’. The issue was dealt with by periodic clearing of the streets, which the paper said made ‘the town sweet and pure, but as yet we have not discovered how to do this work and yet keep our streets in the perfect order we should desire’. Fred advocated the use of sewage farms and fire to deal with the problem, and quoted the examples of Bradford, Leeds, Derby and Southampton. His pamphlet appears to have generated debate and in September 1892 he was given the job of working on the outfall sewer of Addenbrookes Hospital.
Fred was instrumental in the planning and opening of the Sunday School buildings of the New Chesterton Congregational Church on Victoria Road in 1900. He worked with Mr Kirkman, to improve the plans drawn up by a London architect and gave his time for free. He was presented with an inscribed marble clock by the building committee to thank him.
After he was widowed he moved to live at 19a Victoria Street (by at least 1920). Fred had been a committee member of the Royal Albert Benevolent Home on Hills Road (1917) and was living at 23 Albert Buildings when he’d died. He was buried on the 9th or 15th of May. (The grave register and parish register differ).
Parish burial records
by Mary Naylor and Claire Martinsen
[If you have any information about this person, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]