Charles Kerridge (1847/8 – 1927) was a bricklayer from Walsham le Willows in Suffolk, who originally worked for builder James Footer of Exning. Charles married James’s daughter, Jessie, and in 1880 set up business in Cambridge with carpenter George Shaw (who had married another of James Footer’s daughters).
Jessie died in 1880, aged 31. On her deathbed she told Charles that he should marry her sister Ruth.
A few weeks after Jessie’s death another tragedy occurred when Charles’s eldest son Footer, aged just five years and 10 months old, also died in an accident on a building site.
Charles went on to marry Ruth and they had a daughter called Dorothy, who grew up with Jessie’s surviving children, Ada and Charles younger
Charles and George’s company was called Kerridge and Shaw, and although work began in a small way from their homes and premises at 26-28 Sturton Street, their reliability quickly became known, and the business prospered.
They built many Cambridge landmarks including the Laurie & McConnell building at 17 Fitzroy Street (now interiors shop Clement Joscelyne), St Andrew’s Street Baptist Church and adjacent fire station; and the medical school in Downing Street. Other work included Colchester town hall; the Grand Hotel, Southwold; the Bath Hotel, Felixstowe; and Greenwich fire station. It is thought that Ada Cottage in Sturton Street was built by them, and named after Charles’s daughter Ada born in 1872.
Charles Kerridge younger took over the business and relaunched it in 1914. When he was working on the Melton Lunatic Asylum (then called) in Suffolk, he met his future wife. They moved to Hills Road (corner of Marshall Road), where their five children – including the later Cambridge alderman Kelsey Charles Kerridge, after whom the Kelsey Kerridge sports centre is called – were born.
Jessie (1848/9 – 1880) and Charles (1847/8 – 1927) had three children:
Ada Jessie, born 28 Oct 1872, died 29 April 1964, aged 91.
Footer William, born (?) Dec 1874, died 10 Oct 1880, aged 5 years 10 months.
Charles (younger), born 7 Jan 1878, died 6 Jan 1949, aged 70.
Lat Lon : n/a
Parish : St Andrew the Great
Lat Lon : n/a
Parish : St Andrew the Less